Planing Hell

Wfd55

It all started with a question from the wife "hey why don't you make something for our families for christmas like cutting boards?"  My reply "Ok I could do that, cutting boards shouldn't take too long and I could use up the some of the Mahogany and Curly Maple I have laying around"

On to the project simple 2 stripe design should be able to bang them out quick.  Figuring the boards were close enough as being S4S i cut the parts did the glue ups without milling anything (mistake 1).  I left the stripes a little proud of the surface to plane later not a bad plan I thought.  I probably rushed the glue up a little trying to "save time" (mistake 2).  Not a single one ended up even close to flat.  How to fix this, time to pull out the lunchbox planer (small cutting boards mistake 3)  lots of snipe and tear out on the Curly Maple. Now the only way I could think to salvage these cutting boards is with hand plane.  So I spent several hours chasing my work bench around the shop (next project a work bench) planing the boards flat and saving the cutting boards.  They are a little thinner than expected but they will work.

The moral of the story, I know this too, never think of it as a quick project where you try to rush and cut corners you will probably pay for it later.  I share this story to give the more experienced guys here a chuckle and the newer guys like me someone to share in their misery.  Woodworking is still fun even if every experience is not.

Please share some of your miserable woodworking moments when you tried to rush or cut corners.

Well, sounds like we are all learning lessons trying to make Christmas gifts this year! I learned I need to start in the summer or get myself a real heater for my shop, my glue joints were a tad weak...

I only heat my shop when I am in there.  If I do a winter glue up, I bring it in the house overnight.

I'm learning it right this minute.

It seems to happen every time.

I carefully sand everything, do the glue up, sand again.

I wipe down with mineral spirits to see what's what...and it looks good to go.

I apply the first coat of finish and all kinds of glue shows up!

I know this....and yet every time I skimp on the glue clean-up.

It's a skill I can't seem to learn...but it seems to take as long to finish a project as it does to build it...

Am I in such a hurry to finish that I'm jumping the gun?

Yup.

Am I aware of it?

Yup.

Am I able to resist?

Nope...

:huh:

Dave

I only heat my shop when I am in there. If I do a winter glue up, I bring it in the house overnight.

yeah, that's what I'm doing, unfortunately my shop is at on my moms land, and my wife takes out son over there during the week when she works so I have to hide the glue ups since it's for my wife, and all this moving them around knocked my case out of square!

When I was new to woodworking ages ago before the internet was more that a dream to Al Gore. I went the the local Builders Square. I told the guy that I wanted to make a project for my wife and he sold me some construction adhesive instead of glue. I put here jewelry box together with it. Was great until the weather turned hot and humid. The wood expanded the adhesive did not. I was woken to he screaming. She had opened the lid and the whole box popped apart. Not a single joint had held. The adhesive was hard as a rock and you could even see the wood pores in it. It flaked off like a three day old sun burn. I learned that day that because they wear a vest with a name tag that they aren't a expert in your project. I went to the library and read a book, you know the other use for trees. I am waiting for the day that they outlaw woodworking because it hurts trees. 

I do not have a power jointer or planer, nor do I have a drum sander, so I do most of my milling by hand.  for cutting boards - especially end grain, I made a very simple yet remarkable discovery:  Card Scraper.  I ruined one and almost ruined another cutting board trying to whack at it with my smoother (and spent hours with the ROS after) only to discover the joys of a well tuned card scraper.  I can't say enough about this simple little tool.  for the right job it's truly amazing.