Outfeed table/main work bench

Tom Cancelleri

I'm rearranging my 2 car garage to be a more efficient use of workshop space. The only thing I need to give a little space to is my yard tools (mower, small rototiller, chainsaw, weedwhacker, shovels, rakes, etc.) I've got a handful of table top tools that I have on my current bench (disc/belt sander, oscillating spindle sander, slow speed grinder, Tormek, miter saw, hollow chisel mortiser)

I lack a good woodworking bench, however my current layout doesn't really allow a woodworking bench up against a wall. I am contemplating a woodworking bench with leg vise and tail vise. I would like to design the table to also be the outfeed table to my table saw so that this bench serves double duty, and allows for a more efficient use of the space. I was thinking of using some heavy urethane casters on the bottom, since the bench will probably be close to 300 or so pounds when I'm done, it would also allow me to fine tune the height of the bench. My thoughts are to put a sheet of 1/4" MDF on top of the maple I plan on using for the top to allow me to use it for assembly, and protect it when doing harder/messier work. 

Any thoughts? Pros? Cons? Am I completely out of my mind?

I've nearly got my workbench complete & want to use is as an out feed table as well.  I'll admit right up front, it's not a Roubo.  Don't be too harsh with me.

Problem with a garage as a shop is that things are always getting moved around so the has to be some mechanism for leveling the bench with the table saw.  What I'm doing, is putting a threaded leveler under each foot.  

It's got a trestle base with horizontal feet with holes drilled up through a couple of inches from each end.  I'm using massive 2 1/2" steel feet with a long 1/2" threaded stem.  I epoxied 1/2" rod couplers in the feet, installed the leveler & then screwed a knob on top of the stem.

I'm also going to be putting some heavy duty casters on with a cam arrangement so the bench will not be resting on the casters while in use.  Even double locking casters would not be sufficiently solid, I think.

I'd like to build a Roubo, however I will be designing it and will probably be a hybrid bench of some kind. I'm thinking round bench dogs vs the square style. Maybe a standard woodworking vise instead of leg vise. I can't justify $400 leg vise hardware. For the tail vise I'm thinking a large lead screw and build a sliding fixture for it. I better start working on design.

I'd like to build a Roubo, however I will be designing it and will probably be a hybrid bench of some kind. I'm thinking round bench dogs vs the square style. Maybe a standard woodworking vise instead of leg vise. I can't justify $400 leg vise hardware. For the tail vise I'm thinking a large lead screw and build a sliding fixture for it. I better start working on design.

Cost for this pin less leg vise was $38. The I made the gears for the extra chain I had lying around.post-202-0-78608200-1416683127_thumb.jpgpost-202-0-83843900-1416683188_thumb.jpg