Finishing turned legs

ChrisFaulkner

I am making a batch of Campaign Stools for Christmas Presents this year and wanted some opinions on finishing options. I have made two of these stools for myself in the past and used the recommended wax on the lathe method, but wanted something that would be tougher since I am giving these ones away. These are going to non woodworking homes and will probably be used outside quite often. What do people think about hanging them and spraying something like a polyurethane from a rattle can? Would something like a Deft lacquer be tougher?

I know that there are many thousands of ways I could finish these, I am just looking for your opinions and maybe suggestions for applications methods.

These are mahogany and have been sanded to 220 grit.

What type of finish are you going for? Gloss, matte, flat? I would say poly would be your most durable for the cost. You could go lacquer but that adds a bit of cost. You could while the legs are on the lathe wipe em with BLO and at a low speed apply shellac with a lint free cloth or paper towel. 

If these are going to be used outside at least brush some epoxy on the end grain on the bottom of the legs where they will be exposed to the ground. If they are going to be left outside then an exterior finish should be used, if they are just going outside occasionally and not being stored outside, then a wipe on poly should be OK.