Rikon 10-325 vs. Grizzly G0513ANV

splinterking

So after some great feedback from the forum here I've narrowed my band saw choices down to 2 models and due to typical woodwork OCD I'm stuck. So I'd like everyones opinion and feedback from owners of either of the saws. 

Right now due to various sales they would both cost $924 with shipping(or tax) etc. The only difference being that I would get a mobile base for the Rikon at that price and none for the Grizzly.

Here are the pros and cons the way I see it.

G0513ANV-

Pros: 

2hp Motor

Large Heavy Frame

Larger Throat

Cons:

Needs 220v(which I have, but is really dedicated to the Table Saw. Guess I could switch or run another circuit?)

Heavier harder to move

Aluminum Wheels

Rikon 10-325-

Pros:

Cast Iron Wheels

Larger table

Smaller Footprint

110v

Cons:

Less Power @ 1.5hp

Some So-So reviews from a few users and FWW gave it an iffy reviews

So lets see what everyone thinks. I sure either will make me happy in the end, but this will be the second largest single purchase in the shop next the table saw I will have made and I don't want to pull the trigger and regret it later.  

I appreciate everyones input.

IMHO I wouldn't buy a bandsaw saw without cast iron wheels. I had a grizzly 15" with aluminum wheels and I have the 10-325 now, the wheels make a huge difference. 1.5 HP vs 2 HP isn't going to be that big of a difference especially with cast iron vs alum wheels. Think of the wheels as a flywheel, cast wheels have more mass and that helps more than you realize.

Mark, thats a valid question. Here is my thinking. They have a comparable resaw capacity, 12 for the Grizzly, 13 for the Rikon. Close in overall power , similar table size, similar design. Really beside for my list above the only thing that really separates them is the throat capacity, which I don't see as being all that import to me, though I could be wrong. And finally the expense is exactly the same. So that how I got here, but I might be over looking something.

I've bought entry level tools thinking it's bigger it's better. I've since sold all those tools and learned to find the right tools before purchasing them. Tools are really heavy to move. I'm dreading moving my drill press from my parents basement to my house. Had it stored there when I lived in my condo. even when dismantled it is a bear to move, and I gotta clean it all up and give it a tuneup. 

Fitz, I've looked at the Laguna and it does look great, but the Rikon is on sale for $799 and thats what is really putting in my budget. I am kind of waiting to see if the Laguna goes on sale for black Friday, but it's looking more like the Rikon now. 

The Grizzly goes on sale in December.  Might be worth a phone call to see what the savings might be..

Cons:

Less Power @ 1.5hp

Some So-So reviews from a few users and FWW gave it an iffy reviews

Just an fyi, take the FWW reviews with a large grain of salt. I swear some times they the have reviews just so they can gush over a big advertisers newest tool, and others they are just trying to fill a page count quota. For example the last review they had said the PM1500 was the best. I remember thinking it damn well should be, it costs twice as much as 3/4ths of the machines it was compared to, and in some cases over 3 times as much.

I have the 10-325, and it's an excellent little machine given its price. Honestly, I'd recommend it or the Laguna 14|twelve, or save your money and get something in the 18"+ range that will let you run really big blades. 

Alright I pulled the trigger on the Rikon 10-325 today. I just couldn't make anything make sense for the money. I thought maybe the 14-12 might be included in 15% Black Friday sales, but the folks at my local Woodcraft said "NO". Of course they're out of stock since they've sold out them twice this month, so if was the wrong decision at least I've got some company, though everyone seems pretty happy that owns one. Now I'm just waiting for the truck to come in. 

Thanks for everyones input!

Exactly. That alex Snodgrass bandsaw clinic on youtube changed everything for me. I went from getting terrible cuts to setting up near perfect cuts in a third of the time after following his wisdom. And I second what cancilerri said. Wax the table and use protective coatings from right off the bat. Also I don't know about the rikon but I know nearly all bandsaws come with subpar blades at best so order at least 1 high quality blade suited to your work flow to set the bandsaw up with.