Orbital sanders. Not the normal ??

bushwacked

Ok so I was reading a post a week or so ago about the orbital sanders and which one to get blah blah blah ...

My question is ... What makes a good sander? Why are some cheap and some not so cheap. What should you be looking for in them?

To me as a new person on the outside looking in ....

I would say dust collection would be somewhat important. Then the actual sand paper being used would seem like the big deals??

I just don't see why the price differences? Yes I know you have some bigger ones and smaller ones for different jobs.

There is so much.... Sealed bearings and motors with air paths that cool without introducing fine dust. Balance and insulation that keep your hand from tingling. The geometry of the randomized pattern. Oh wait, Eric already said all of that.

As a hobby guy, I have a cheaper one speed DeWalt. It plays nice for as much as I sand.

Well true I get that But is it mainly the fact that cheap sanders can't hold up to hours of sanding like TIODS mentioned or what?

From what I've seen the Ferrari is not always the best (festool) in this case.

Just like with the car, once you drive one and get to enjoy the features, it's hard to go back to driving the Pinto

There is so much.... Sealed bearings and motors with air paths that cool without introducing fine dust. Balance and insulation that keep your hand from tingling. The geometry of the randomized pattern. Oh wait, Eric already said all of that.

As a hobby guy, I have a cheaper one speed DeWalt. It plays nice for as much as I sand.

Oh the hand tingling is not normal? Haha I just thought that was common with all orbital sanders. My cheap dewalt does that to me.

Are you talking air or electric, I have worked around the auto body business my whole life, my dad has had a restoration shop in the same location for 35 years. We have air filtration in the shop but dont use anything dustless, I help in the shop but the job that pays my bills is masonry so my work life is all about dirty, with that said my dust collection is a mask. we have around 20 sanders of all sorts of makes and price ranges including several from hutchins, mirka, Ingersoll I/C and my favorite sander is this 35.00 piece from harbor freight, i dont know who makes it but Eastwood has the same one. I am sure plenty of people on here will scoff at the notion, but it is a smooth, fairly efficient in its use of air and its speed is very adjustable.

I have been considering a electric sander so I dont have to turn on the compressor every time I want to do any about of sanding but i haver not even given it a serious look, is anyone making any brushless models?

What am I doing wrong? I have a herd of sanders and none have ever failed. I even still have my dad's 50 year old 1/3 sheet model. I blow them out with compressed air and change the pads every now and then but I still have all of them working. I hear about people burning up sanders but never have. Am I sanding wrong?

I have been considering a electric sander so I dont have to turn on the compressor every time I want to do any about of sanding but i haver not even given it a serious look, is anyone making any brushless models?

The Mirka Ceros is brushless, as is the latest Festool ETS EC 150, though the Festool ETS EC isn't available in the USA yet, and who knows when it will be available.