Bought a brand new not-a-LN

Dewald Swanepoel

So I felt that I needed to get a jack plane for general purpose planing but, even if I could find something like a Lie Nielsen here locally, there's no way I can justify those kind of costs for a tool that will see only very occasional use.

So I looked around a bit and found this MTS for a little less than the Stanley I saw in another shop. I don't know a great deal about MTS other than the few hammers or square angles that I have which are about on par with the similar Stanley tools I have - so I figured it'd do. 

29mqi9u.jpg

I don't know why I didn't open this thing in the shop and had a good look at it first but this is what the blade looks like once I open it up at home:

2n8360n.jpg

Now I'm no expert on hand planes and I realise that the blade could probably be sorted out with some lapping and honing. But you know what, I just felt that if I pull something brand new from the box, I'd like for it to at least look like the manufacturer took pride in making it. This thing looked like it was slapped together during the last shift on a Friday afternoon.

So I took it straight back to the shop, got my money refunded and went back to the other shop to get the Stanley. It's still no premium hand tool but it looks infinitely better than this and it's amazing how much better you feel about your tool.