Please help getting frustrated with my new bandsa

tcarswell

Well my grizzly bandsaw arrived I set it up myself paying close attention to detail and set everything as recommended. I installed a Vermont American 93.5 1/4 6 tpi blade and started doing wider curves on some alder scrap. The cuts look like a washboard with vertical lines I've set the guides 100 times and I have played with the tension. What's the deal ?!

Think so ?! I got three timberwolf blades coming a 1/4 a 1/2 and a 3/4 will they make that big of a difference ?!

Yes you sort of get what you pay for but only to a degree with bandsaw blades. Unless you bought a sizable saw you won't need a 3/4" blade 1/2' is a you will need for most smaller saws. Some blades are overpriced and you pay for the name and packaging like Timberwolfe. The most affordable blades are usually from a local saw service. I have to have all my blades made as you can't just run out and get them off a shelf. The local shop makes the blades real nice and the price is more than fair.

To PB's point. I bought a wood slicer blade and paid right around $40. with tax and shipping. The blade was not welded properly and was rubbing my guide as the weld passed it. I then bought a morse blade for less than half that price and I think it performs much better (stayed sharper longer) and was welded properly!

I doubt if it has to do with the the brand. Try a higher tooth count for smoother cuts. IMO

If you misspoke and you meant a LOWER tooth count, then I agree with you.  A 3 or 4 TPI blade is appropriate.  I wouldn't use a blade with a higher count than that unless I was cutting something other than wood.  Like hot dogs maybe.

If you misspoke and you meant a LOWER tooth count, then I agree with you.  A 3 or 4 TPI blade is appropriate.  I wouldn't use a blade with a higher count than that unless I was cutting something other than wood.  Like hot dogs maybe.

The higher the tooth count the smoother the cut but the slower the cut. Get to slow and you start burning. 6 and 10 tip blades are very common. The rule of thumb is to have 3 teeth minimum in the material. 3tpi is 1" material, 4 tip is 3/4" material and so on.

I never use anything more than 4 TPI and I get smooth cuts.  Nothing is or needs to be finish ready right off the bandsaw so I don't see any benefit in higher tooth count blades.  They just cause trouble.  For a small saw dedicated to light-duty scrolling work I'll concede the argument...otherwise, give me low TPI for everything else.

My Timberwolfe as 10TPI and works really well on those 8/4 cutting boards.

No offense, but one guy's "really well" is another guy's "slow as hell". That's always a point of contention in any such topic. While your 10 TPI may work more than good enough for you, Eric might want to sling the wood at the blade at high speeds so that he can maximize his woodworking activity while also keeping up on his NSA work and running Amazon.

No offense, but one guy's "really well" is another guy's "slow as hell". That's always a point of contention in any such topic. While your 10 TPI may work more than good enough for you, Eric might want to sling the wood at the blade at high speeds so that he can maximize his woodworking activity while also keeping up on his NSA work and running Amazon.

We are really talking about how smooth a cut is not speed. I use .7/1 tpi most of the time, cuts fast but not smooth. If the cut warrants moving slow as with curves where you need to pay close attention a higher tpi is the better choice. Running low tpi blade at to slow of feed rated beats the teeth dull. Really about using the right tool for the job.

My general use blade is a 3/8 Timberwolf 3/4 skip tooth blade. It was 24 bucks, and it cuts beautifully. For resawing I use a 3 tpi skip tooth 3/4" blade. As for scroll work I use a 10 tooth 3/16th blade with a carter blade stabilizer. Again, it's all about the right blade for the job. Nothing comes off the bandsaw finish ready.

I have always been taught that the lower tooth count blades have larger gussets and more set to clear out sawdust for work like resawing. For finer cuts and scrolling you use higher tooth counts. Works for me. Curved pieces are usually a bite to sand and finish so the smoother the cut the less finishing and the happier woodworker I am.

• Like 1

I never use anything more than 4 TPI and I get smooth cuts.  Nothing is or needs to be finish ready right off the bandsaw so I don't see any benefit in higher tooth count blades.  They just cause trouble.  For a small saw dedicated to light-duty scrolling work I'll concede the argument...otherwise, give me low TPI for everything else.

what equipment what type of Bandsaware you using