Dog Gave Us A Scare

chefmagnus@grics.net

Our 10 year old corgi, Blue, gave us a scare at 6am this morning. I took him for his morning walk and his pee looking like Hawaiian Punch. So I got ahold of the vet and they saw him at 8am. After x ray and ultrasound they decide he had bladder stones and a enlarged prostate. The had to neuter him to fix the prostate and removed 327g of bladder stones. I could post a picture but who wants to see calcified urine and blood. So we got to take him home tonight. He is doing great but has to wear the cone of shame. He was my partner at DHS as a S&R dog for 6 years. DHS allowed me to keep him when I got disabled. We are hoping for a complete recovery. 

This wasn't how I had planned on spending the day before my stomach surgery. I will have to torture all of you with photos of hospital food for the next 5-7 days. 

OK back to the purpose of this post. The vet says that bladder stones can be treated easier if they are food early. If you have a breed of dogs that are prone to them ask to have a urinary ultrasound added to your annual checkup. She said that it wouldn't cost much but would save you money and suffering of you pet.