Finishing counter tops

rubus

The only wooden countertop that I built, which has any age on it, and is one I get to see once in a while, is one I built in 1993.  I put Moisture Cure Urethane satin floor finish on it, and it still looks good today.  MCU is a completely different animal that what people know as polyurethane. It probably sets the record in high amounts of VOC's, and no doubt sent more than a few floor finishers to an early grave.  It is, however, dayam hard.

Don't try it first on something good for a first go.  You get one chance.  It dries so fast you can't go back over it.  It's almost a race to keep up with the wet edge.  It's a flooded finish, and you push the wave across what you're finishing using a sheepskin mop.  It's mostly out of fashion now with the newer waterbornes.  The waterbornes, like Bona, are infinitely easier to use, and no strong VOC's.  Applying MCU is like sticking your head in a five gallon bucket with a gallon of mixed tolulene and xylene in the bottom.  Floors I put it on in the seventies and eighties have not needed to be redone.

I did a 13 foot walnut countertop last year.  Do a forum search for "monster walnut countertop" and you'll see some images of it.  I used salad bowl finish (8 coats i think) and it turned out really nice.  Never had an issue with durability, but I did wax it from time to time as well.