Home made fishing rod

duckkisser

If he's a fly fisherman, bamboo rods are a whole wormhole you can go down, kind of like luthiery.  There's a lot of info out there on making bamboo rods.  Lie Nielsen even makes a couple specialty tools for the task.  If he's a gear fisherman I don't know if there's anything other than wall art to make him.

I made a couple of rods several years ago, using graphite blanks. I recall the only 'special' tool involved was a home-built rod lathe my buddy owned. Moderate speed for sanding the cork handle rings, super slow for applying finish and drying. It also had rollers to support the rod along its lenght as it turned. Remember to attach the line guides along the 'spine' of the rod...

Cool. Not sure how much fishing you do, but as a guy that used to fish every morning before and after work, and on my lunch, and dusk til dawn on weekends, I'm happy to offer suggestions as to the application of the rod as it pertains to your build (customizing it to your dad's specific use). As for the woodworking aspect...I have no input :).

Personally, I'd pick the reel first, and build the rod around it.

Or even better, the technique.  If he digs topwater, spinnerbaits, cranks, jigs, tossing flukes around docks, etc.  Then pick the reel, then build the rod.  I don't build rods but I have gear that's specifically chosen for the techniques I use the most.  I don't gear fish really at all anymore since I picked up a fly rod, but I used to have dozens of rods all for a particular purpose.

• Like 1

We do both.  If we're canoeing, there's really no way to fly fish and float at the same time, especially if you're floating solo.  So we'll float a stretch, stop at a riffle, get out and wade, repeat.  But my group of fishing buddies includes a couple guys who own drift boats, and they are really the best way to fly fish the bigger streams in the Ozarks.  A good oar man can just sit in a riffle and let you hammer the juiciest spots.

We also do some warm water fly fishing...mostly we chase the white bass runs up into the creeks on the big reservoirs in spring and fall.  One of my buddies has a fleet of flats boats with big decks perfect for fly fishing.  If you hit it the right day and get on a big school of hungry female whites...man that is fun.  And there's nothing like catching a big largemouth on a cork popper in shallow water.  I wish I had more time for it.  Unfortunately, living in St. Louis means it's about a two hour drive to any decent water.

I grew up next to a relatively small lake (50-60 acres). Used to fish with my grandfather. My favorite technique is to scull around the shoreline in a johnboat, fly fishing for bluegills. We always used a double fly rig, a wet bug at the tip and a popper about 18" up the line. Quite often we would catch 2 at a time. During the April spawn, bluegills are

aggresively hungry, so our catches frequently exceeded 100 fish (mostly released). Grandpa once took 120 fish in 17 minutes, by himself.

I take my son fishing whenever we can, but I really miss that lake...

Spent a year in Key Biscayne, running and gunning for bones, tarpon, and barracuda up and down the beach, and catching tarpon and Sharks from a kayak...haven't lived until a 12ft bull shark dragging you 3 miles out to sea in a kayak!

(Sorry for the threadjack....but at least you know you have some 'fish stories' to accompany your build :). )

I'll tie it back in...Eric and WTN are right, drill down the technique, application, and reel , then build your rod, guides, tip around it.

Balance is key to limit fatigue if it going to be cast/retrieved all day.

Holding the reel in your hand, the rod should suspend perpendicularly to the ground. I have 1 or 2 slugs electrical taped to the back of most of my rods to achieve this.