Toyboxes to be made in Santa's workshop.

wouldwurker

Started the 'carry toy boxes' this evening for Christmas presents for friends' kids. I made a similar one for my son in March.

Milled all the lumber (pine) this evening, planed, ripped and cut.

First time batching out 4 of something at once. I started with dimensions and my plan, and then immediately started to make changes to get the most out of the lumber I had on hand. Then of course, if there's a slight defect on the end of a piece that needed to be trimmed off, they all had to be cut to similar width so cuts can be consistent through the project.

Good kids get the quartersawn boxes.

fb38e450cedf7859f29d6058d442d685.jpg

73f536f5acb72bd2aba26c2ff2a0e0b6.jpg

I keep pine offcuts for picture frames for the shop...for my 'priceless' art.

b1ae62ea37dad09d7982fbe76638140a.jpg

...like this one.

4da608301635655bb1a1ce65cad29807.jpg

• Like 1

Nope!  Obviously, rough cut the shape first and pay attention to your travel direction with the router.  Use a flush trim bit with a smaller radius that your corners.

Also, I see a few humps in the handle of your template.  If you want those in the final piece then, that's what your going to get.  If you don't want them there, spend a little more time on that portion of your template.  Your final piece will only be as good as your template.

Good luck!

Nah, you'll be fine.  Pine is like milling butter.  You may get a little tearout at the bottom where you'll be routing uphill.  Practice on a test board!

And clean up that pattern before you rout so you only have to do it once.  :)

Edit...Kev beat me to it.  The man is quick on the draw.

LOL at the priceless art.  Today my daughter brought home a school drawring that said, "I'm thankful for my cats," with a picture of a kitty.  We don't have any cats.

• Like 2

Nah, you'll be fine.  Pine is like milling butter.  You may get a little tearout at the bottom where you'll be routing uphill.  Practice on a test board!

And clean up that pattern before you rout so you only have to do it once.  :)

Edit...Kev beat me to it.  The man is quick on the draw.

LOL at the priceless art.  Today my daughter brought home a school drawring that said, "I'm thankful for my cats", with a picture of a kitty.  We don't have any cats.

Maybe she's trying to tell you something... ;)

Routing out the ends with the template.

Pucker factor on the handle holes - 10000.

Not sure if I can take 7 more

You'll do fine..  I'm quite sure you were nervous the first time you tried any new technique!  

Looks good tho!  No bumps in the handle or nothing  ;)