Toyboxes to be made in Santa's workshop.

wouldwurker

• 3 weeks later...

January 8th, and finished just in time for Christmas...

I don't want to rehash an old issue that seems to get people fired up, but I really really tried to go "certified non-toxic when cured" on the finish.

Started with two coats of Watco butcher block (which on a cutting board, built up a really thick finish), and wasn't satisfied.  Then applied THREE more coats of GF Toymakers finish.

From what I gathered, Toymakers finish is exactly the same as GF Salad Bowl, which is exactly the same as Seal-a-Cell, but for the certification process.  Even on the GF website, when you click on several links for Toymakers Finish, it takes you to Salad Bowl finish pages/documents.

Anyway, after 5 coats, it still looked crappy to me.  Plus, I could scratch a half inch into the wood with my fingernail. Scuffed and de-dusted for the 6th time and applied one coat of arm-r-seal.   Now it looks fantastic.

Now... in the past, I've finished all my kid's stuff with arm-r-seal and let em' gas off/cure for 3-4 weeks.  I'm comfortable with my own kid playing with arm-r-sealed stuff, once cured.  I thought I should go the 'certified non-toxic' route with other people's kids, but neither provided any protection, and I do like my oil-base.  I also think 5 coats is nuts for little to no finish buildup.  (yes, I'll likely go waterborne when I cut my teeth on the HVLP).

Anyway, the carry toyboxes will be packed, shipped, and delivered to 4 kids, ages 0-2.  I will include my usual note, 'handmade with love with the following species of wood...' , but will also advise to let it fully cure on an out of the way shelf for 3-4 weeks, or until it doesn't smell like finish.

post-15261-0-92526200-1420728606_thumb.j

I thought I was done...and they looked good enough...but good enough wasn't good enough. So because I'm in an obsessive compulsive maniac I felt the need to rub them out with Platin 500, 1000, 2000, Menzera 2000, and Menzerna 4000. I didn't bother to wait to let it (fully 3 week) cure, so I took it pretty easy with sanding pressure. It's so hard to explain the difference...The gloss comes down a notch but the shine is more consistent...like the hood of a new car...if that makes any sense.

Mostly though it's all about the feel. Baby butt smooth.

I realize these are for four kids under the age of two, one of which is going to be born this week...but I'll know how it'll feel to the touch when their folks (my good friends) take it out of the box....it feels effing awesome....like a showroom Ferrari. After that the kids can smash it around the house and have a great time. I made one for my son in March.,,still holding up and he beats the hell out of it.

And man does rubbing out make that Baltic Birch bottom look pretty.

Three down one to go. I'll bump a photo to project showcase tonight when they're all done.

af9d6577862d633be11336585e4484d5.jpg