Drawers or shelves

Klackey

So, I am planning out some shop storage and I wanted to see what you guys thought about drawers vs shelves. I assume that I will end up with a combination, but what do you prefer to store in cabinets vs drawers. I am trying to over think this so that I don't build a whole bunch of stuff and then immediately regret my decisions.

Thanks,

Kyle

Sorry Terry, can you explain that 'organized' word - I don't understand it :)

Back on topic, for me the problem with drawers is that they can quickly become a dumping ground for stuff. Having said that, if you create drawers with internal fittings designed for a particular purpose (router bits for example) then they're not going to suffer that problem. In an ideal world I think I'd tend towards shelves but with glass doors on the cabinets to mitigate the dust problem while still letting me see the contents.

Of course you then have the problem of cleaning all that glass...

I have both.  I like shelves for containers of fastners.  One thing I've noticed with drawers is that they are generally over deep.  If you're building them then you can take this into account and make more shallow drawers.  I've found more shallow drawers is much better than a couple deep drawers.  It helps keep the piling in each drawer down.  And, there is always wasted vertical space in deep drawers since I hardly ever fill that space with anything.

Tim

Take a look at the situation in your kitchen (or maybe it's only mine). There are items in our cabinets that we haven't seen in years back in the back. When we remodeled the kitchen a few years back, the cabinet maker suggested several deep drawers instead of some cabinets w/ shelves that I had planned. These have worked great. But then again, just like you wouldn't put your drinking glasses in a drawer, there are things in your shop such as stains and solvents that make more sense to store on shelves.

When organizing my shop/garage, I used the kitchen as a lesson, and studied the items/tools, etc. that I had and used a combination of both.

I agree with Terry, and I also don't think you are over thinking this. A little planning now will not be regretted later.

• Like 1

I have ocd when it comes to the shop. Cant stand anything on the floor like base cabinets. All tables have to be on legs. I'll add a drawer here and there under a table depending on what the table is used for. Wall cabinets have to be hung above my eye level. The biggest thing for shop organization is not to be a tool junkie or hoarder. I hate walls of clamps they drive me nuts. I keep my clamps in the shed tossed in a barrel and only keep what is needed maybe 10 or so at a time in the shop. No shelves everything has to go behind doors. Dont get me started on wood scraps.