First card scraper(s)

wouldwurker

I need to first qualify that I did search the forum for this question before I posted, as it might be a common one.  Couldn't find an answer though.

Can anyone recommend which card scraper(s) I should buy?  Price is not a factor.

Thanks, and I apologize if it's the kind of question whereby I should have qualified with more detail.  I don't mind having tools that I don't immediately need, as they'll actually inspire me to tackle a new project challenge that may require it.

Thanks for your feedback.

VJ

In olden times my understanding is that they were recycled from spent handsaws, so I don't think you have to be picky so long as you're getting some good spring steel.  Mine are Crown, Lynx, and/or Pax I think, but the fellows at TGIAG.com have a variety as well that might be worth checking out.  I can't think of a reason to spend much on them.  You'll want a burnisher and a mill file for dressing them.  I would say I have a half dozen or so rectangular ones, a set of curved ones, and a set of concave and convex.  Having a bunch of rectangular ones helps if you're going to use them to refinish something as it dulls them fairly quickly. 

There's not much to a card scraper. When I first started woodworking I bought a set of 6 on ebay for like 20 bucks, French curve, concave/convex, trapezoidal, and then a rounded corner rectangle and 2 different sized rectangle scrapers. I bought a burnisher, and I've been using them for nearly 7 years and they still work great. 99.9% of card scrapers is in the sharpening, which takes a while to get a hang of.

A quality burnisher and an understanding of how to sharpen a scraper is more important than the scraper itself.  I like to eliminate variables whenever possible, so I ordered mine from LN since I knew I'd be getting quality steel from them...but I'm sure you can find decent ones for cheaper many other places.