The Batman Walking Stick Project

Tom Cancelleri

Keep an eye out for Robin, rumor has it he's been known to abscond with a few of the B guy's things!

The odd thing is, every time I turn something new that I put a lot of work into it comes out better than my previous project, and every time I wanna keep it for myself because it's so damn awesome.

• Like 1

Got my Batman logo in place on the walking stick. Sadly I couldn't get the cuts as smooth as I wanted because of the length of the walking stick  and not having a bandsaw with a 40" throat. That's ok, the oscillating spindle sander (Best $50 I ever spent) made short work of this. Then I started using my Shinto rasp to start curving it and blending it into the rest of the stick. I really wish I had a 1" belt sander. Had to take a break, too hot in the shop.

post-16369-0-76849400-1416532739_thumb.j

post-16369-0-13605400-1416532741_thumb.j

post-16369-0-34270500-1416532742_thumb.j

post-16369-0-37245900-1416533138_thumb.j

Blended as best as it's getting. Need to do a little bit of refining by hand with some 100 grit and a block and a sponge. This was done with my porter cable belt sander (That messy SOB), shinto rasp, 5" ROS, and I turned it a bit more to clean up some areas. Going to shape the handle tomorrow with the rasp and ROS, final sand it and throw a coat of BLO on it before shellac. Might have to spray shellac it since there's the grooves from my Sorby texture tool. 

post-16369-0-66907000-1416539038_thumb.j

post-16369-0-18943700-1416539074_thumb.j

Got my Batman logo in place on the walking stick. Sadly I couldn't get the cuts as smooth as I wanted because of the length of the walking stick  and not having a bandsaw with a 40" throat. That's ok, the oscillating spindle sander (Best $50 I ever spent) made short work of this. Then I started using my Shinto rasp to start curving it and blending it into the rest of the stick. I really wish I had a 1" belt sander. Had to take a break, too hot in the shop.

That looks just too darn cool!

Three questions;

Where did you get a $50 oscillating spindle sander

I need a good rasp. Is the Shinto mentioned, a good one

Where in the heck do you live that it's too hot to work

That looks just too darn cool!

Three questions;

Where did you get a $50 oscillating spindle sander

I need a good rasp. Is the Shinto mentioned, a good one

Where in the heck do you live that it's too hot to work

K,

This guy who was making furniture sold all his stuff since he was moving and he was just gonna use the tools at his job. It's a Ryobi unfortunately, but for 50 bucks with all the pieces and it has fantastic dust collection and works really well so that's all that matters to me. 

It's a great rasp. It removes material with great ease, it's a saw tooth rasp, has a fine side and can be flipped over for coarse. 

I live in Virginia, however I have a heater in my garage and the thermostat got stuck today while I was at work and I came home to this. 

post-16369-0-25779600-1416540175_thumb.j

• Like 1

Sanding done. 2 Hours of hand sanding started at 60 with my ROS to round the handle, followed by 60 grit shaping and finessing some curves by hand. Then work my way up the grit ladder. 60 -> 80 -> 100 -> 120 -> 150 -> 180 -> 220

It's ready for some finish in these pictures. I rubbed it with BLO, and hit it wish some spray shellac for the first coat. In a little over an hour I'll hit it with some gray scotchbrite pad and give it another coat of shellac. I'm hoping tonight I'll be done and ready to wax it. I'm thinking 5 coats of shellac should do just fine. 

post-16369-0-45482500-1416597629_thumb.j

post-16369-0-18188300-1416597638_thumb.j

• Like 1

Thanks TIODS. You should see the walnut where the cuts for the logo is, it's got some amazing grain and color variations. The BLO made all the grain pop real nice. I can't wait until my bro in law sees it. He's gonna flip. He does however have to wait over a month, and only a couple of people know about this project.

• Like 1

WTN,

I apply a liberal coat of BLO, I keep the rag wet so it goes on thick, and I keep it moving but not dripping. Once everything is covered I wait about a minute and use a microfiber cloth to aggressively "burnish" the BLO so it's smooth but not oily. Then about 3-5 minutes later I hit it with shellac which keeps that BLO look and makes it stay that way of wet BLO. After each coat of shellac I hit it with gray scotchbrite.