speed control for my lathe

man of wood

I want to add speed control to my lathe, right now I have to change the belt on step pulleys. My lathe was make in 1951, and is in great condition. There must be a system out there I can add to my lathe and have Electronic speed control........  By the way I don't have the money to buy a new lathe.  I think I can swing the up-date.

Thank you all

Thomas

To install 3 phase, you would need to change your wiring from the line.  Generally speaking, horsepower is directly correlated with voltage. So a 3hp @ 220v would be 1.5hp @ 110v with everything else remaining constant (should be relatively).  So for a single phase 220v, running at 110v ->  

From there, it would be easier to make a 3 way switch (High, medium, and low) using different resistors and a master on off switch. Wouldn't be difficult to make. That or a REALLY beefy potentiometer.  

@McQ: What did you do, cannibalize an old treadmill?

Yep. Paid $20 for the first treadmill which I used for my lathe. Got a 2nd treadmill free but haven't used that motor for anything yet. I wrote an overview on my personal blog.

http://thewoodknack.blogspot.com/2014/11/how-to-get-variable-speed-on-cheap.html

Thomas, don't let the technical talk confuse you. If you purchase a 220 volt, 3 phase motor, and a varaible frequency drive (VFD) as the speed control, you will not need a 3 phase line, just a standard 220 volt, single phase line. The VFD can take the single phase input, rectify it to DC internally, then produce a 3 phase AC output for the motor. Be aware that you may need more amps from the 220 line than if you were running a single phase 220 motor.

So I would need a 3 phase mother???????   Can a 3 phase motor run on 110v????  If I get the motor, were do I find the inverter????  

Thanks Guys, Please keep this coming, I would really like to do this..

Thomas

The motor is run by the Variable frequency drive, which for a 1 hp motor can be run on 110 or 220 single phase.  That depends on what the VFD you purchase wants.

Keep in mind that you will not get more torque out of the motor like you will if you run a reducing belt, so stepping up the power of the motor to give you better low end torque could be a good idea.