Wow - wood movement in the past week

wouldwurker

With sub freezing weather in Atlanta in the past week, and gas heat blasting all day (not my choice, BTW), I noticed this in the past 7 days:

Old Dresser we picked up at an antique shop this spring

Tenon of a stretcher popped out

Frame and panel cabinet door came apart on one end (panel itself is actually hardwood)

Jewelry Box I made in August:

The top, which was bowed in August, but had been subdued by rare earth magnets and actually flattened out quite nicely....just rebowed  - even the magnets won't keep it down

Half completed projects in my shop:

I'm afraid to look

My Guitars:

All my frets are super proud (I'm used to this, but now look at it with woodworker eyes)

My relative humidity is low....24%.  Last winter it got into the teens.

Thinking of incorporating a humidifier to the forced air heating system to get back to ~40%. 

Ouch I feel your pain VJ. We all know wood moves so perhaps the jewellery box will go back once the humidity goes back up. As for the guitars give the fret ends a dress with a file. When the neck expands again the frets will not be flush anymore but at least they won't rip your fingers off when the wood shrinks again.

Not sure what you can do with the dresser but find out what glue it was originally made with. It may be hide glue in which case you can buy a small tube of Franklin Titebond hide and repair it.

Hotlanta it's not at the moment :(

My dad was a guitar nut.  He had almost a dozen Martins and Gibsons when he died.  He had a humidifier/dehumidifier system installed in his house solely for the guitars.  I don't have a system in my house...fortunately for the guitars, I rarely get them out of the case for lack of talent.  Occasionally the HD-28.  Then back it goes for another month.

i guess it is local climate, humidifiers are standard, and maybe even code, for HVAC systems here.

My condo in the city didn't have one; we ran little standalone units in every bedroom and a big one in the main area. It sucked...fill them at least twice a day trying to keep even like 33% RH.

Our house in the burbs has one integrated to both furnaces...like yours with humidistat that is finicky.

I don't think I'll ever trust myself to go at my Gibsons with a file!

On the dresser, why not any wood glue?

If it is a true antique then you will devalue it by repairing it with modern adhesives. Just thinking about when it shows up on Antiques Roadshow in 100 years time.

My dad was a guitar nut.  He had almost a dozen Martins and Gibsons when he died.  He had a humidifier/dehumidifier system installed in his house solely for the guitars.  I don't have a system in my house...fortunately for the guitars, I rarely get them out of the case for lack of talent.  Occasionally the HD-28.  Then back it goes for another month.

Best thing is leaving them in their cases especially in a centrally heated/ac'd house to minimize movement.

The anal ones use them :).

I'll make a generalization that most orchestral guys have their $&@" together way more than any guitar player with whom I've ever shared a beer soaked plywood riser.

I've never bought expensive acoustic guitars because pragmatically, I know I could never take care of them.

As for the indestructible Les Paul and SG'a....they'd withstand a hurricane.

• 3 weeks later...