Advertising Popups

Coop

I'm not bitchin, just wondered.

The odd part about it, right after these started showing up, I'm sitting at my desk with a pad in front of my keyboard and my computer just started going haywire. Couldn't get internet or e-mail access and my Word documents were going crazy. Come to find out, the writing pad apparently was laying on several keys on the keyboard. Scared the crap out of me. I'm clueless on computers anyway and thought I had a virus

I agree that Marc has to do what is best for him. I on the other hand I'm now having problems with the forum as my ancient laptop and very (1mbs) slow broadband combine to mean that any threads with images are taking a long time to load during which my computer effectively freezes. I realise that I'm going to be in an absolute minority here but it does detract one heck of a lot from my enjoyment of the forum.

I agree that Marc has to do what is best for him. I on the other hand I'm now having problems with the forum as my ancient laptop and very (1mbs) slow broadband combine to mean that any threads with images are taking a long time to load during which my computer effectively freezes. I realise that I'm going to be in an absolute minority here but it does detract one heck of a lot from my enjoyment of the forum.

See if you can change to the "Mobile Version". There is a link at the bottom of every page. Its not pretty but loads fast.

I think you're right there Marc. Previously I believe the ads at the bottom of the page etc were static images which were cached and therefore didn't need to be downloaded every time. With google ads though, every one is different and is being downloaded each time resulting in periods where I sit and watch the status bar ...waiting on... etc. The problem is indeed a combination of a very old laptop (rescued from a bin) and broadband that is almost from the prehistory period (one of the joys of living in rural Scotland). I've noticed I have the same problem on other sites that use google ads (which is most of them) as well.

==>images are now coming from Google instead of from our own server

Are the adverts static (same for every connection for a given timeframe) or dynamic (determined by the browser's UIC -- or whatever they call it these days)? Dynamic adverts take longer to push.

I tried to click an x to close an Ad and it gave me the option to never see it again, then it let me explain that it was irrelevant to the subjects on the Forum. Not a bad way to handle an Ad.

When next you refresh, there will be another.  Just means that advertiser won't show up for you again.

They way it works is that, due to the cookies held on your machine from previous sites you have visited, you get targeted ads relevant to your interests. There is a degree of latency while it works out what you "need" to see and then it delivers. This delay will be noticable on slower machines like Dave's and slow broadband connections. It reiterates this for every delivered ad per page.