Advertising Popups

Coop

No he would still get targeted ads just not ones relevent to his interests. If you wanted to stop seeing any ads then adblock is a plugin for Chrome that works very well. That also adds latency to your browsing experience and again very noticable on slower machine.

There are no plugins for safari and chrome on an ipad however. I have targeted ads on my website but earn very, very little from it. But every penny counts.

The problem with turning off cookies is that a large number of sites will have majorly reduced (if any) functionality. One setting I have changed is the 'Do not track'. I'm going to spend some time clearing out my cookies (wish they tasted better) then switch back to the full site and see what that is like.

There are no plugins for safari and chrome on an ipad however.

While generally true, there are if you jailbreak. You can also block ads for every device on your wifi with an ad-blocking proxy on your wireless router (easier to setup and use than that probably sounds).

While generally true, there are if you jailbreak. You can also block ads for every device on your wifi with an ad-blocking proxy on your wireless router (easier to setup and use than that probably sounds).

Very true. Probably why I don't earn very much from adsense.

Tell me more Vyrolan.

Terry - I've tried adblock in the past and found that it really crippled the machine. Every single page just crawled onto the screen like a slug towing a caravan (not a pleasant experience) and several were timing out and then had to be reloaded starting the whole painful process. It is a fact of life that technology has moved on a great deal since this machine was made and with the vast amounts of memory modern equipment has (500Mb here) and the general availability of high speed broadband there is no longer the need for web designers to be so careful of page load speeds.

Let's face it. My attempts to use this is a bit like trying to cut down a 100 year old oak with a coping saw - theoretically possible but be prepared to devote one heck of a lot of life to it. I think it is time to stop searching for cheap tools and start looking for some 'unloved' technology. The bargains are out there I just got to find them!

Tell me more Vyrolan.

Google for "DD-WRT" for the router thing. If your wifi router is a supported one, you just follow a simple procedure to load DD-WRT on it. That replaces the built-in software and so a ton of new stuff becomes possible.

I've tried adblock in the past and found that it really crippled the machine. Every single page just crawled onto the screen like a slug towing a caravan (not a pleasant experience) and several were timing out and then had to be reloaded starting the whole painful process.

That's weird. It would normally have the opposite effect because it prevents downloading the ads so your machine has less to do. It's possible though that your machine is so slow or bogged down that just parsing to find the ads is debilitating.

... the general availability of high speed broadband there is no longer the need for web designers to be so careful of page load speeds.

Noooooooo. I hate web devs that think this way. It still matters. It always matters. It's just wrong and lazy to have this ridiculous page weight. I've fought so many people on this topic at work even for internal stuff (where everyone has at least 500 meg to the website and most have 1 gig connection)...it still sucks when you're around the world. Even with 1gig connectivity, bulky pages are slow and clunky in our London office and even worse in Singapore.

Thanks for that Vyrolan and I'll have a look into DD-WRT.

My first exposure to IT was a HP9810 programmable calculator and those programmers understood the concept of efficiency - not one un-needed digit anywhere. I also remember reading an interview with the creator of 'Attack of The Mutant Camels' where he was lambasting his modern successors for their lazy approach to coding and leaving all the various test routines in the distributed code (even if it was disabled). As he pointed out - all that code has to be loaded (from cassette) which takes time and annoys the customer. Whenever I did a web page the final published version made for some hard reading - I felt the need to make those files as compact as possible. Added a bit to the maintenance overhead but the resulting pages 'felt' better. Alas those are all long gone now to be replaced by ones that were written by software designed to maximise flashy graphics at the expense of efficiency and user experience.

Rant over...back to searching the 'cheap' laptop Nirvana that is ebay/gumtree :)

Yes that's different than targeted ads which appear in the space allocated by integrating a webpage with something like adsense.

The trouble with modern browsers like Chrome is that it takes up masses of resources in the background even when "not" running. On the Windoze version it sits hidden on the taskbar if the default option of "Enable Chrome to run in the background" is checked. This spawns multiple instances of Chrome consuming RAM just waiting for you to open the application. It might also be like that on Linux Dave so check it out (assuming Chrome is what you use). It got like that on Firefox too that's why I dumped it and went to the faster (not anymore) Chrome. On a machine with 500MB RAM a modern browser may be causing it to bog down.

I remember back in the ye olde days, when we had steam driven servers and my olde front gate was new, we got 500MB RAM loaded in a top of the range Compaq server and thought we could run the world. My how times have changed. My ipod has more processing power than that now!

I don't web browse at all on Linux and I don't use Chrome on my Mac.

I read somewhere that a modern digital watch has more processing power than they used to land on the moon.

I've tried Chrome but just couldn't get on with it so switched back to FF. It just seems to suit my way of browsing but I do have to reboot a few times due to processor overload. When you consider I've had this laptop for 18 months now and I'm the third owner (that I know of) it hasn't done bad really. Looking at the scuffs, scrapes and little nicks here and there on it there is even a possibility that it may have been used as a rugby ball during part of its life :)

• Like 1

I read somewhere that a modern digital watch has more processing power than they used to land on the moon.

Might be true, depending on the watch.  If you interpret "used to land on the moon" to mean the computers actually in the space craft, where every ounce of computer required over 10 ounces of fuel just to get into orbit.

Between the 1960s and, say, 2000, computing speed and memory size doubled every 18 months, roughly. So, between the moon landing in 1969 and 200 computers got more than a million times more powerful (about 2 to the 20th power).

Having changed the 'Do not follow' and spent some time clearing out cookies along with just basic housekeeping I've now got it back to a 'useable' state. I still need to upgrade but at least the urgency has been removed. Thanks to everyone for the help and advice :D

that all might be true, but with modern firewalls, a crowded internet...

Too true. When I ride the Metra (the commuter trains here in Chicago), I turn off 4G LTE on my phone. There are so many people that have it and are trying to use it that it's worse than dial-up. With it disabled, my phone connects as the older 3G and is actually useable. Using the should-be-slower 3G is easily 4 times faster if not more (not counting the times 4G LTE straight up doesn't work).

Not that network providers over-selling capacity is a new thing or anything...