It's getting hot in here!

Tom Cancelleri

I have a 5000 watt heater in my 2 car garage mounted on the ceiling. It's on it's own 30 amp breaker. I keep the thermostat on the unit set to keep my garage around 58-60 degrees throughout the winter. Costs me about 25 bucks more a month to keep my garage warm.

I got home from work today and my heater thermostat must have locked or something. I opened my garage door and got blasted by an uncomfortable heat wave. The heater was running and it was hot as could be in there. It was about 35 degrees outside.  I looked at my thermometer in the other corner of my garage to see what the temperature was.

See the attached picture for the madness. All my tools were hot, there was heat radiating from all my cast iron tables and even with the garage door open and letting in cool air for about 20 minutes and the heater being off it's only down to 75 degrees. 

post-16369-0-75509300-1416531952_thumb.j

Sounds like a new thermostat is in order!  Or, add water and get a bath!

It's got a built in thermostat. However I'm gonna get an inline thermostat and mount it on the wall. The problem is finding one that will turn on power to my heater when it's too cold and shut it when it's at the operating temperature. Remote management like the Nest I have in my house would be nice.

Using a line thermostat may be a problem if the built in thermostat is an electronic one.  Will the heater turn on by itself when power is applied, or do you have to push a button on the heater to get it going.  If so, you may have to bypass the built in thermostat.  Just be careful not to bypass any internal safety devices.

The heater has 3 settings

2500W, 3500W, and 5000W essentially Low, Medium, and High. There is then a potentiometer or rheostat that is for where you want your temperature, however it doesn't go by temperature it goes by whatever the hell it feels like and it's a crap shoot where you set your dial at to get a certain temperature. It will turn on automatically if the temperature isn't where you have it set to without any intervention. Essentially I'd like something that cuts power when a temperature is reached and to deliver power when it's not.