Time for some real dust collection

drzaius

Since I'm replacing the table saw, I decided that a proper dust collection is also in order.  I've already done a ton of research but it's still no easy choice.

My shop is a 2 car garage that I share with 2 cars.  I'm not going to give up parking inside because in Calgary we have enough nasty days in the winter & scraping/brushing snow is something that I just hate.  Feel free to judge.

My grand plan is to build a sound proof room in the basement adjacent to the garage.  In that room I'll have the cyclone, air compressor, the central vac for the house plus shelving for some of the less frequently used garage items.  That will free up a lot of space & allow for a much better shop layout.

Because of this, I'm going to need a fairly powerful cyclone.  I've narrowed it down to the ClearVue, Oneida SDG 3HP, SDG 5HP, or V-5000.  The Clearvue has a couple of things going against it; the height of 96" is going to be difficult to deal with in the basement & the best filter option is only MERV 15,  where as the Oneida has MERV 16+

Of the Oneida choices, I'm hoping the V-5000 will be fine.  It's a couple of hundred dollars less than the SDG 3 HP, is a couple of inches shorter & is a little quieter.  Fan curves for both are pretty similar.  But I may have to go with the SDG 5HP to deal with all the duct fitting that will be need to from the basement to the shop.  I may have Oneida to the calculations on that.

The CV1800 does have a great curve, but comparing curves from different manufacturers is fraught with peril.

I know this post is long winded & it's becoming obvious that I have a problem with making decisions, but any advice or experience that you can share would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Frank

uh, Mr moderator, this may not be in the proper section.  Feel free to move it.  Thanks

[ I like "The Shop" for dust collection, so I moved it there --- Chip ]

Edited by Beechwood Chip

I used ro have a 2+ garage, and I parked in half of it in the winter.  We also get cold, snowy winters here in southern ontario.

The issue I had was that the melting snow and ice from the car was a nightmare to deal with.  I had a floor squeegee, but the massive puddles and mess left on the floor always woried me.  Even after squeegeeing the floor, there was plenty left to vapourize.  Water vapour = rust; be mindful of this.

Nestor: I have about 15' of duct, 2 90s & 2 45s to get me to the shop ceiling.  That's why I'm thinking the V-5000 & an 8" main trunk.

Pug: The floor is sloped enough that most of the water just drains out under the garage door.  Haven't had any problem with rust yet.  The humidity in the winter here is very low, which helps.

Nestor: I have about 15' of duct, 2 90s & 2 45s to get me to the shop ceiling.  That's why I'm thinking the V-5000 & an 8" main trunk.

Pug: The floor is sloped enough that most of the water just drains out under the garage door.  Haven't had any problem with rust yet.  The humidity in the winter here is very low, which helps.

I was considering putting a floor drain in, but I ended up selling the house and moving.  If the water can escape under the garage door, can rain water get in the same way, or is your grade/roof able to minimize this?