Can't decide.

dodgeram99

Here is my problem. I have the money to bye one of the following.

1. Dewalt bench planer. To replace my ridged lunch box planer.

2. Get the festool domino.

3. Get the grizzly cyclone dust collection.

4. Get the grizzly 18x32 drum sander.

I can only get one at this time. And need some advice on which way to go.I can't realy build anything since it winter and not a lot of heat in my shop.

• Like 1

What tool do you need to complete a current project, or to start your next project? If you're upgrading your planer, I'd suggest not and getting something you don't have, unless your planer no longer suits your needs. If you have no dust collection I'd get the grizzly cyclone, if you have decent dust collection, and no drum sander get the drum sander, lastly if you're building a ton of stuff that requires tenons get the Domino. 

Buy the thing you need most.

• Like 2

Here is my problem. I have the money to bye one of the following.

1. Dewalt bench planer. To replace my ridged lunch box planer.

2. Get the festool domino.

3. Get the grizzly cyclone dust collection.

4. Get the grizzly 18x32 drum sander.

I can only get one at this time. And need some advice on which way to go.I can't realy build anything since it winter and not a lot of heat in my shop.

Heat first - Then dust collection, then the drum sander, then the domino.

I recently purchased the drum sander and really wish I'd of gotten that before the domino.  I use it more often than the domino!

here is a 500.00 dollar option

aei-w4024.jpg

http://www.patioshoppers.com/products/Infratech_61_1_4_4000_Watt_240_Volt_Electric_Radiant_Outdoor_Heater-689-0.html?utm_source=froogle&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=froogle&gclid=CjwKEAiA4rujBRDD7IG_wOPytXkSJACTMkgawLfcZEEcdhXu6bytKXrKci6p8Y-xQaLSx0-cK9f4_xoCuMPw_wcB

here is a 200.00 option plus either gas hook up or a propane tank.

177217_700x700.jpg

or one could just get an air handler add a 5kv heating element and set it in the corner or the attic,

most tools listed cost more than any for the above options, now maybe he is renting and dont want to spend money on the space, or maybe he just wanted to buy tools, but my house burnt down, I tore the old house down and built a new one including the cabinets with portable tools before I started  restocking the shop.

I didn't mean to derail the guys wish list, just my opinion 

That's 15+ amps of 240V which I imagine is a big chunk of your available electricity in most garages. Their recommendations also specify that size for a 10x10 space...so for a typical 2-car garage you need at least two... Well maybe not I guess if you center it over the major working area and you're not expecting 65 F in the garage.

Do you have 220v? I am not sure the upgrade from the Ridgid to the Dewalt is really that much of an upgrade. If you have 220 and want to upgrade your planer I would look at getting one of the Grizzly 15" planers. 

I owned a Domino at one point and was a little unimpressed and worried to much about how to work Domino joinery into my projects. 

Dust collection pretty important

I have never owned a drum sander but they seem very useful.

Heat- Bundle up or just add a less expensive portable space heater or one that runs off propane.

When it starts to warm up and you no longer need the heat you will have wished you had just gotten a tool instead  :D

Me, I'm a complete wimp.  Heat is really important.  Before closing in the ceiling I had a sheet metal guy come in & run ducting from a residential style furnace in the corner thru the attic to 12" spiral ducts down to the floor on either side of the OH door with 2 registers in each.  There are also registers at the window & ext. man door.  The furnace is 90,000 BTU so the shop warms up fast.  The heat is evenly distributed throughout & I never have cold feet.

I made a big filter box that is under the furnace & uses 2 electrostatic filters in V formation to help keep the dust down.  The whole thing was expensive, but very much worth it.  I did save on the furnace though, it was from an old house that was being renovated & was basically free.

Frank

Hope this isn't too stupid to ask.

I have a heater similar to the gas one shown and could put in my garage shop without much work.

Is the open flame an issue with dust?

I've never considered moving into the shop before because I envisioned burning down the house.

In my opinion the wall mounted space heaters are no more dangerous then a gas hot waterheater or furnace of an older variety, mine are sealed but, at least around here, that is a fairly new thing.

That is aassuming you are not leaning stuff against it and the guard in intact...