What do I bring inside for the winter?

Statuser

Hi,  

This will be my first winter doing woodworking.  I'm currently working out of an uninsulated attached garage in central PA.  The garage will be largely unheated for the winter unless I'm in it.  I know that I need to bring the glue inside so it doesn't freeze.  Is there anything else I need to worry about?  What about paint or other finishing material or any tools?  The garage is fairly dry it just gets cold especially when the kids leave the doors open.

Thanks,

Statuser

Also consider bringing in any power tool batteries.

While they will tolerate the cold to some extent, their life may be shortened.

I've heard that water stones will break if they freeze.

My owner's manuals say that pneumatic nailers should be stored at room temp.

My compressor (oil-less) runs very slow upon start-up when it is cold. I'm not sure if that hurts it but you may want to bring it in to extent its life.

Dave

It is sounding like it is a matter of either heating the garage or moving into the basement for the winter.  The basement is unfinished and very poorly sealed off from the rest of the house so no working in there.  I'll have to figure out a way to easily move things back and forth.

It is sounding like it is a matter of either heating the garage or moving into the basement for the winter.  The basement is unfinished and very poorly sealed off from the rest of the house so no working in there.  I'll have to figure out a way to easily move things back and forth.

Or either get/build an upright cabinet to store glue and other liquids and put a light bulb in the bottom of it.  I'm not saying to buy this one necessarily but I hyper-linked it for the design.  I found an old metal cabinet similar to this at a yard sale for a few dollars. You put a bulb in the bottom and you're set.