How do you "make your mark"

rodger.

Oh wow it's a sad day...Eric has changed his avatar. I freaking loved the old one and it always seemed to fit him so perfectly.

On the thread topic, my wife says I have to get a custom brand kit because it's cool she says. I told her I would if I make something that I feel is deserving. =p

I have a custom branding iron heated with a blowtorch.Ordered it from http://brandingirons.com/in the USofA and it wasn't very expensive. It really is good made out of solid brass that has been machined with my name and location. There are bits of scrap all over my shop with burnt in brands!

To use get I clamp it in a vice and aim the blow torch at it for about 5 minutes. Then I clamp a jig that acts as a guide for the brand onto the workpiece and hold the branding iron in position for 3 seconds gently rocking it. If it hasn't done correctly you can reposition it exactly where it was using the jig.

• Like 1

I use a pencil, ballpoint pen, Sharpie and sometimes a hand held engraver it depends on the project. I usually write "Out Side The Lines, R Sullivan. and month and year" if there is room. I write as small as I can and I usually do it before the project is assembled so that I can put in a very unobtrusive place. 

For example I sign the inside of the front of a small box so that it is upside down. If anyone is interested in finding out who built the piece, they have to go hunting for it. :)

Rog

Rockler has custom branding irons that plug in and are relatively inexpensive.  I received one as a gift that came with a card to send away for the brass head once I put in my customiztion options.  It works well, although I'll admit to gouging it off  to start over on a few projects when I shifted slightly while burning it in.

I could never do this, my hand writing is crap. I blame it on being left handed, and all the teachers trying to "break me of it" when i was little.  :angry:  :blink:  :huh:  :D

Do you do any of your woodworking left-handed and has it impacted your tool/bench/etc choices?  I do fine motor skills (writing, eating with a spoon, etc) left-handed but am otherwise right-handed (play all sports right-handed but am substantially better left-handed than the average right-hander would be if he tried).  I do sometimes get confused with tools as to which hand should go where because of it.