The 10 Minute Challenge

I have two little girls (1&4) and Xmas is roughly a month away. Personally I refuse to buy plastic crap toys that run on batteries (they still get them from the grandparents, though <_< ). This year my oldest wants to play Santa and come down to the shop and make her little sister some gifts. What we've worked out is that I make the stuff and she helps assemble and paint it. I don't have much time other than a few minutes Saturday night and a couple hours Sunday morning, so whatever the project is I have to get it more or less done Saturday night for her to finish off the following morning.

Obviously these have to be quick simple projects. The first one on her list was an airplane; next is a truck :) . I got the plane cut out and sanded tonight in about 10 minutes. Nothing fancy, but it's going to be something that big sister can decorate and give as her own.

This got me thinking, what other kind of toys can be built very quickly for little kids using scrap lumber? Thought this might be a fun thread to start for those of us with little ones looking for ideas.

So my challenge, what can you come up with that takes less than 10 minutes of working time (give or take)! Here's tonight's plane (no small pieces that can break off and get put in the mouth B)

EDIT: Excuse the apple in the 2nd pic, their dinner wasn't cleaned up yet :rolleyes:...

post-6031-0-26687500-1416712320_thumb.jp

post-6031-0-16018300-1416712360_thumb.jp

Love the plane dad but, it needs a propeller  ;)

Frankly, I got into this hobby after my kids were a bit older so don't have any suggestions for quick easy toys.  However, my kids and I do build the bulk of our gifts every year and it's a great lesson for them!  Hats off for what you're doing!

Dude, you aren't making a BOAT????

Building blocks, if the recipient is young enough to appreciate them.

Maybe a little mallet to drive dowels through holes in a board?

Marc's grasshopper toy is a good choice, but might take a bit longer.

A little older, and wooden swords get popular with the boys, at least.

Love the plane dad but, it needs a propeller  ;)

Frankly, I got into this hobby after my kids were a bit older so don't have any suggestions for quick easy toys.  However, my kids and I do build the bulk of our gifts every year and it's a great lesson for them!  Hats off for what you're doing!

It's going to be given to a 1yr old, so I omitted the prop and wheels as it's something delicate that could break off and be put in the pie hole ;)

• Like 1

That is the most impeccably eaten apple I've ever seen.  Is your daughter part squirrel?  How long did it take her to gnaw that thing down so perfectly symmetrical?  Good Lord! :lol:

Otherwise I have nothing interesting to add.

Like the plane, love the boat.

She takes after my OCD :huh:.  She is a perfectionist

Project #2, a catapult!

Truth be told this was most likely for the oldest to launch fruit, various veggies from her mini kitchen, and of course "iz-a-Betty" (aka: her elephant). This is probably going to get arm-r-sealed by me, but she's already come up with a game called "launch" where we take turns trying to launch various things into the seat of a chair ;). Good times...

Truck will likely be next unless a little girl changes her mind (which never happens) :rolleyes:.

post-6031-0-53580700-1416979944_thumb.jp

post-6031-0-17564600-1416980179_thumb.jp

• Like 1

Funny you should show a  catapult. I just had a birthday this week and my son gave me a catapult as a gift. 

Mine was supposedly designed by Dav Inchi and there is some assembly required :)

attachicon.gifBirthday 2014 001.JPG

Rog

I think yours is a little cooler than mine :)