Mixed hobbies...

Tpt life

Ok, for starters (in the spirit of the holiday) I am thankful for a five day weekend. I have been out of my dabbling basement shop for awhile and need to finish some things. In another thread we posted families. I also love them. But this weekend I appreciate a hobby that pays, so that my other hobby can continue. I love to play and the winter holidays are my busy season. I cannot ever predict who may ask me to play so it remains a surprise and provides some extra outside of the budget. Have a second hobby like it?

post-9382-0-00716600-1416743026_thumb.jp

I have a couple of hobbies aside from woodworking. Currently attempting to play guitar, and model railroading with my son (he's the railfan, I'm just along for the ride). Formerly powerlifting and cycling.

None of them pay, and life leaves little time for any of them, but I enjoy them whenever I can.

• Like 1

Why are all my hobbies expensive and don't pay :)  Woodworking, Photography, Computers, RC Airplanes... i can only manage one or two at any given time.  So combining them is my goal.  Build a desk for my computer while filming it for a podcast...hmmm how can I get RC Airplanes in that mix? :)

The only "hobby" I have that pays is really an extension of this one...I hang out at the local hardwood dealer on weekends, work the register and help people with their projects.  It's pretty much a waste of my time financially, but I make some extra cash for new toys, get lumber essentially for free...and get pick of the litter when a new shipment comes in, which is probably the nicest perk.  And I enjoy shooting the breeze with other woodworkers.  Nine out of ten of them who come in are great guys.

I'm also a fly fisherman and canoe enthusiast, but since having two little kids, those trips have been very few and far between.  That's another hobby that will make you broke.  I stopped tying flies when I got serious about woodworking, but I have thousands and thousands invested in tying materials, rods, reels, lines, leaders, waders, boots, packs, canoes, paddles...ugh.

When I was younger and in better shape, we used to do a lot of backpacking.  No money there, either.

I used to be nuts about following politics, but it pretty much just makes me wanna vomit now.

Eric I almost got hooked on tying flies a few years ago.  I was at a summer camp with my kids...sort of a parents/kids camp up in Maine.  One of the classes was fly tying...I could have spent all day doing it...not sure why but it was very relaxing.  Fortunately my wife pulled me away before I added one more expensive hobby to my repertoire.

Frankly it gets extremely boring after a while.  Once you learn the recipes and tie a hundred of each one...blech!  I have a woodshop to work in when I get the urge to create something.  I just buy flies when I need them now...as cheap as they are there's no point in wasting precious time.  I need to get all those materials on ebay and out of my basement.  Could probably buy that Fuji and the Domino XL that I've been wanting with what I'd get from it. :huh:

I did enjoy it for a number of years, though.  And I still love fly fishing when I get the rare opportunity.

Oh and inspired by Eric's new avatar... another hobby is silly movies...well going to movies isn't really a hobby as much a passion.  Still prefer to see most movies at the theater even though I have a great TV at home.  Well scratch that had a great TV until it blew up and when I tried to fix it I put a huge gouge down the screen... So time for a new "Great TV" :) Can you say "Black Friday"?

All of my hobbies have always cost a fortune with never a return.

I enjoy shooting sports and reload my own ammo. I don't hunt but not against it just never had friends to help me get into it.

Many years ago I took a fly fishing class with a buddy of mine at Bob Marriets (sp) fly fishing school. Loved every minute of it!!! Wader belt saved my life one outing.

I can only afford one hobby at a time so the reloading got shelved and the WW took over.

It's therapy for me really. I went from being a mechanic for Mazda to basically a desk job. I would just pace when I got home and I couldn't relax. I figured out it was because I wasn't using my mechanical brain any more. WW fixed that thankfully

I use to have a bunch of different hobbies but ever since we started having kids I scaled back on pretty much all of them including woodworking. When the weather is decent I will go on bike rides, even in the winter as long it's not raining. I do a fair amount of hiking and am going on my my first snow shoeing trip in a couple weeks. We are moving to Hawaii next spring and I am planing on getting into paddle boarding and kayaking. My woodworking is going to be curtailed pretty significantly after we move. 

OK this is starting to sound like a playboy centerfold bio.  I like to take long walks in the spring with my dog Rusty.  Love waking up in the morning to the smell of bacon and waffles. My favorite movie is Terms of Endearment...etc etc.

I kid I kid...  Warning points inbound...

I don't have any OTHER hobby's at this time but, this one is fairly cheap even though it doesn't pay well at all.  :mellow:

My previous hobby was racing enduro Go Karts. The lay-down and go 90 MPH type Go Karts!  :blink:

One year I won the championship in my class but at a cost of $10,000.00 for the ONE season! :huh:

That hobby REALLY DIDN'T pay!   :o But, then I had a job which I don't have now. . :)

Rog

Fly fishing, fly tying, bonsai, and now recently woodworking. Unfortunately, the woodworking bug had me hooked this summer, so I didn't fish nearly as much as I have in year's passed. I'm hoping to curtail woodworking a bit for more of a foul weather hobby. Or, I wouldn't mind coming across more time to seriously pursue all three at the same time! I'm 26, and that probably won't happen for 30 years. They all share quite a few similarities, so it's no surprise I'm involved in each. I like the creative thinking and personal contemplation involved in each. There's also that nature thing....

Patrick

I've had a few hobbies over the years, until I finally found woodworking.  I was a guitar nut for a long time, playing in a few different bands, and I worked at the local guitar shop for a few years cause the bands made 0 dollars.

Then I wised up, and went back to univeristy.  In university i found snowboarding-   I boarded all the time, and spent most of my winters on the hill.  I kept this hobby for years, and finally my knees had enough and I had to give it up.  I was not discouraged.  I started a new job, and discovered the money pit called golf through a colleague.  I was OBSESSED with golf for a few years, spending all my spare time on the course or at the range.

After I realized how much time and money I was spending on golf, I decided to reevaluate my hobby.  I was newly married at this point, and we bought our first home.  My house needed my attention, and I was not used to this.  So i started learning simple DIYprojects.

Then I found wood working, and it made me forget all about the mistress named "golf".  I sold my clubs and gear (much to the relief of my wife) and started taking every single woodowking course I could find (college, Lee Valley, etc).  Then I set up shop, and the rest is history.  I am on my third house/shop now, and this hobby is permanent.

Woodworking is quite rewarding for me, and I really like that I can control the pace.  Feeling like a challenge?  There is no lack of difficult or intricate projects to stretch ones limits.  Feel like a quick and satisfying build?  Grab a some lumber and build a frame, mirror, or bookcase.

• Like 2

I do a fair share of hunting. Deer and elk seasons are over for me and I'm on to ducks and geese.

Kev, love to duck and goose hunt, so you're one of the reasons the majority of them never make it this far south!

All of my hobbies have always cost a fortune with never a return.

I enjoy shooting sports and reload my own ammo. I don't hunt but not against it just never had friends to help me get into it.

Many years ago I took a fly fishing class with a buddy of mine at Bob Marriets (sp) fly fishing school. Loved every minute of it!!! Wader belt saved my life one outing.

I can only afford one hobby at a time so the reloading got shelved and the WW took over.

It's therapy for me really. I went from being a mechanic for Mazda to basically a desk job. I would just pace when I got home and I couldn't relax. I figured out it was because I wasn't using my mechanical brain any more. WW fixed that thankfully

Doc, do you reload handgun, rifle or shotgun