Mixed hobbies...

Tpt life

I also have a lot of hobbies that are expensive and don't really pay. I was really big into woodworking when I was in high school and when I got out I didn't have the means but now I can afford some hand me down tools to get started again.

My big hobbies are:

Wood working

Fishing (all kinds but lately Musky)

Hunting

Shooting

Trapping (If I am available during the season)

Cars

Beekeeping (first year but I can see doing this for a while)

All at the age of 28 and going back to school to get my second degree (Bachelors in Mechanical Engineering)

I shoot long distance as a hobby. I hunt and fly fish but don't really see those as a hobby. Shooting is expensive aside from the initial investment the rounds can get crazy looking for that perfect round. I think the worse was $25 ea for a custom round for the Barrett and $20ea for the Sig Even with cheap  rounds can't go out every week end. I bow hunt for deer and bear anything bigger it a firearm. Fly fishing I love but access is so limited Im general stuck with pay to play.

• Like 1

The serious hobbies I've had over the years would be:

- Scuba diving (Was a certified padi instructor shortly out of college, taught for a few years and got burned out when I was basically spending as much time underwater as I was above it).  Did some cool things, though!

- Shooting (I have a small steel range set up behind the house for pistol).  Used to hunt but tired of having to process the meat.  Rather make the plates sing and buy a ribeye :P.  Would like to get into reloading, but will wait until the girls get a little older. 

- Boating used to be a hobby, now it's an occupation.  Along the way, something was lost <_<

- Would like to get back into brewing again.  Have all the equipment but haven't touched it in 15 years..

Coop I used to reload pistol and shotgun but now it's just pistol. Specifically 9mm because I used to compete in IDPA

Doc, just looked up IDPA. That is pretty neat. They have matches here in Houston, so will try to go to one next month just to watch.

What gun do you prefer?

Coop I only did it for one summer with a ton of Glock guys. I've always been a Beretta fan so I used my 92 A1

P Board before I stopped shooting for now I was looking into long range "F Class" I think it's called with my wife. I'd love to shoot that far and greater!

I have the same Beretta. 3 years ago a neighborhood dope head broke into our hose and got away with 4 handguns, the Beretta included. Luckily he didn't find my Browning HP. The Beretta was the first one I replaced.

I came across a Sig Sp2022, 9mm that I really like. Recently bought a Browning s/s 45 that's sweet to shoot.

Why are all my hobbies expensive and don't pay :)  Woodworking, Photography, Computers, RC Airplanes... i can only manage one or two at any given time.  So combining them is my goal.  Build a desk for my computer while filming it for a podcast...hmmm how can I get RC Airplanes in that mix? :)

Dave, I'm in the same boat. I used to play paintball (got way too expensive), I fly RC helicopters, planes and a do some RC car stuff, kind of stopped doing that as well. Crashes and dwindling local places to fly and what not are prohibitive. Woodworking and playing guitar/bass/drums/singing/and dabbling in piano are my current hobbies. I've played guitar about 15 years, which is also what got me into fine woodworking, at some point I plan on building a harp guitar. 

My Other Workshop

studio.jpg

Copied this here from the General Woodworking forum as the original poster had inadvertently started a duplicate thread:

Frighteningly I've been playing guitar/bass for the best part of 40 years and got into making them about 20 years ago so have parallels with you T.

Also have been a radio ham since 1980. I help out in my wifes amateur theatre group doing the lights and sound.
Drinking beer and wine. Barbequing, cooking in general, listening to all sorts of music. Lots and lots of interests. Oh and a woodworking addict.

To answer your original question T, I have looked at harp guitars having seen Pat Metheny live for the first time earlier this year but a little out of my league at the moment. Experimented making fan fretted necks. They are not as easy to make as regular straight fretted. 

• Like 1

To answer your original question T, I have looked at harp guitars having seen Pat Metheny live for the first time earlier this year but a little out of my league at the moment. Experimented making fan fretted necks. They are not as easy to make as regular straight fretted. 

I'm thinking the easiest way to go about that is going to be using a .023 kerf saw blade and my dad's radial arm saw. 

You can get the measurements for multiscale on http://www.ekips.org/tools/guitar/fretfind2d/

• Like 1

Light tackle Fishing (tarpon and bonefish), guns (Beretta M9a1 (Standard Marine Corps SideArm) aK-47s (the Gibson Les Paul of assault rifles), guitars (any Gibson will do, singing in rock bands (up until I got married), and designing and building stomp boxes from scratch.

My take on hobbies has always been complete and total obsession until I'm a little bit better than average. Woodworking has been the anomaly in that it's going to be a long time before I'm a little better than average.

• Like 1

Whoa whoa whoa!

More guitar/bass builders?

The more I learn about T Cancelleri the more I like the guy! :)

Building a bass was my first woodworking project. I'm on my third/fourth now. No darn time anymore. Clients take precedence.

Guns? Oh yes. That's not a hobby where I'm from. It's a lifestyle. Boatworks, I'd be in heaven if I had a handgun range in my backyard. I take my 1911 out whenever possible. Have to keep it happy ;)

And I'm fairly certain I'm out of likes for the day.

• Like 1