Domino over use

dwacker

No we use them on all FF cabinets. We made the switch when we moved from cabinet shop platform to manufacturer. I shouldn't say "we" although Im the true owner its he kids that run the place now I just write checks and make major decisions. Traditional joinery is making its way back.

PB, would you happen to have any photos of that type joint? I'd like to see just biw a sliding dovetail is used in a face frame.

PS... I never should have made that MP reference last week...

Can't put the toothpaste back into the tube.  It has sparked a chain of events that historians will write about one day.

Actually, John Cleese just published a book, so I've seen him on TV a couple times in the last week.  So between the swallow reference and the interviews, I had Cleese on the brain.  One of the funniest dudes who ever lived.

Complete thread-jack...apologies.

Traditional joinery is making its way back.

Awesome!   I guess I'll keep my Powermatic mortiser...  For anything that isn't reproduction, or that requires long or visible tenons, I'm more apt to use the Domino.

I think all of it has a place, depending on customer expectation.    There are examples of centuries old pocket screws in the Yale Furniture study.  Oddly enough, hardware was so expensive back then, the presence of screws may have been "high end" selling points!    Seeing Roentgen work in person today, with some issues with the marquetry related to wood movement, I can't help but wonder if the makers would have killed for high-quality plywood.  The Roentgens also ran a very successful business, so again, the thought of plywood availability crosses my mind.  Another customer expectation thought related to masterworks like the Roentgen's, is the thought of folks who assume veneer automatically equals Ikea.

However, customer expectation often goes beyond technique or hardware, and I think there will always be a demarcation at the true custom vs. mass-produced (even in small numbers) point.   True custom, or commissioned, high end stuff often relies on who made it more than how it's made, the fact that was made especially for them, as well as the fact that it did not come from anything resembling a factory.  For example, if you're buying an item made by Phil Lowe, Garrett Hack, Chris Becksvoort, Frank Klauz, etc... you're pretty much going to accept their opinion on the proper joinery for the item.  

With modern computer controlled equipment cutting joinery extremely accurately and in record time, I could see a real marketing angle to more traditional joinery in higher end, but still mass-produced work.  Along the lines of Stickley's "hand fitted and finished" marketing angle...

==>Can't put the toothpaste back into the tube.  It has sparked a chain of events that historians will write about one day.

As I said, haven't seen the movie in years -- my last MP fix was Spamalot... You're right about the toothpaste -- in the last two days, I've spent time on YouTube watching 'best of' clips' -- God those guys were funny...

==>centuries old pocket screws in the Yale Furniture study

My parents are in the Madison/Guilford area -- about 20 minutes from the YFS -- we make a pilgramige every few years... Talk about an unknown National Treasure...

PB, would you happen to have any photos of that type joint? I'd like to see just biw a sliding dovetail is used in a face frame.

No but I can cook one up possibly (pun intended). Cant tell if thats a blind dado or dovetail but you get the idea. I personally want a tapered tenon side that is a tight wedge fit. The kids are leaning to puzzle joints which is IMO defeating the purpose since it raises material cost. Ultimately I'll get my way even if I have to invest in a couple 5 or 8 horse routers and slide tables. Puzzle joints are done at the router table and cut from wide boards. 

post-5350-0-40584600-1416929709_thumb.jp

I . There are 3 width settings on the machine but the dominoes ony come in 1 width and length. Medium and wide tenons have come in handy so many times.

Is there a dimensional strength aspect here? In other words, is the current domino dimension engineered for minimal failure? is widest mortise setting, but without compensating with a thicker tenon result in a weaker joint?

(By the way, I don't know..just throwing it out there). I'd assume Festool would have jumped on the opportunity to sell us (at an insane price) 2 more domino width options if they could.

I am pretty sure the extra widths are to compensate for slightly miscut mortices. The extra width also allows glue relief . If you put too much glue in a mortice and drive in a domino I have had glue squirt all over the place. It has even cracked the wood and oozed out.

I use the wider stock when there isn't room for 2 dominos in a joint, places where I want the most strength in a narrow spot.

• Like 1

My understanding was the wider mortises also allow you to account for wood movement. A wider mortise with the domino only glued into one piece allows the other to move.

The wider mortises are for ease of alignment. Generally with joining something like a panel the first one would be a tight fit and the others a loose making it easier to fit the pieces together. The dominos don't have a real half round edge. They are more so a straight angle with grooving to keep the plunger affect down to a minimum.

So what happens if I use stacked dominos for full size furniture instead of buying a 700?  I know they aren't "appropriately sized" but I seriously doubt they will fail faster than a pocket screw or dowel would have.  Is it just that they "feel" safer?  or is it the longer reach and therefore better mechanical advantage?

So what happens if I use stacked dominos for full size furniture instead of buying a 700?  I know they aren't "appropriately sized" but I seriously doubt they will fail faster than a pocket screw or dowel would have.  Is it just that they "feel" safer?  or is it the longer reach and therefore better mechanical advantage?

Dominos don't really follow the rules of M&T joinery but I don't know for sure that they need to be followed. They also have not been around long enough to make a definitive determination ether. Will they last or not last is speculation.