mlcs master system or porter cable 4216 dovetail jig?

tcarswell

I'm looking into getting a dovetail jig in the next week or so I was set on the porter cable 4216 ( not the omnijig) but I Noticed the mlcs master system is going for 200 on amazon.

Anyone have experience with these I've never actually used a dovetail jig but am looking forward to adding them to my joint repertoire.

I had the PC and recently upgraded to the Leigh..  What I didn't like about the PC is that the fingers weren't adjustable.  Other than that, it was a simple jig that was quick and easy to be up and running.  I don't have any experience with the Mics..

Such a wide open question..  I consider myself a hobbyist but, I do sell a fair amount of my work.  I don't advertise and don't usually seek customers but, word of mouth usually keeps me pretty busy.

I don't agree that the Leigh is designed for commercial usage.  Fact is that they're using things far beyond the Leigh.

I like the Leigh because I can adjust the fingers so it doesn't appear to be machine cut dovetails.  If I have to batch out a bunch of drawers or parts, I can set up the jig so as to look hand cut.

It does take a little more time to set up than the PC jig but, not much..  A couple minutes maybe.  However, there is also a big price difference.

I think you were asking Kev but I am a pro, small custom wood shop. That's one of the reasons I like simple and easy to set up...

Time = money

Awesome I know how that goes I run a heating ventilation air conditioning company and its the same way. Buy the best equipment you can. (but do your research ofcourse) and you will almost always end up saving money in the long run.

Such a wide open question..  I consider myself a hobbyist but, I do sell a fair amount of my work.  I don't advertise and don't usually seek customers but, word of mouth usually keeps me pretty busy.

I don't agree that the Leigh is designed for commercial usage.  Fact is that they're using things far beyond the Leigh.

I like the Leigh because I can adjust the fingers so it doesn't appear to be machine cut dovetails.  If I have to batch out a bunch of drawers or parts, I can set up the jig so as to look hand cut.

It does take a little more time to set up than the PC jig but, not much..  A couple minutes maybe.  However, there is also a big price difference.

Thanks so much for your time and consideration. I had spoken to a neighbor of mine who runs a cabinet and custom woodworking shop next to my shop. He told me I should basically avoid the leigh unless I needed to cut dovetails daily. It sure is a beautiful machine though.

Thanks so much for your time and consideration. I had spoken to a neighbor of mine who runs a cabinet and custom woodworking shop next to my shop. He told me I should basically avoid the leigh unless I needed to cut dovetails daily. It sure is a beautiful machine though.

I disagree with with that as well.  I certainly don't use mine every day.  But when I need it for a project, I'm sure glad I have it.

The other jigs work super well!  Like I said, my only dislike for them was not being able to adjust the location and size of the dovetails.

Wow what a price tag it's a beauty though. And by the other jigs working well did you mean the porter cable TIODS?

Wait is the rtj400 only 300 shipped ? I thought leigh jigs were a lot more than that. Am I missing something like I need the original to use the router table adapter ?

Wow what a price tag it's a beauty though. And by the other jigs working well did you mean the porter cable TIODS?

Yes but, I also put a great deal of trust in Steve's word as well.

Leigh makes one for use on the router table and one for use with a hand held router.

The D4 should be running about 590 bucks

Under 300 for the Leigh Super 12 which may satisfy most hobbyist needs (dovetails for drawers and boxes). TIODS how often do you use more than 12 (or more than 18) of the D4R capacity?

Super fair question!  Frankly, not very often.  

I'm certainly not tossing that jig out there as the "one you should get"..  It's just the one I have and I love the benefit of being able to adjust the fingers.

Here's the super 12 - Super nice jig!  http://www.rockler.com/leigh-super-12-dovetail-jig

Super 12 looks right up my alley. Is it worth it for a home hobbyist like myself to pay the extra 120 for the leigh? I mean for me it would be for drawers boxes and the usual. No blanket chests :)

Only you can decide for you. That one (or maybe the 18" version) are on my list. I'm like TIODS and really like the idea of near-infinite adjustability even if it means it takes a bit longer.

I have the PC, Keller and the PM machine. The Keller is great, fast and easy. The PC is fine. The trick with the PC is to go online and get the supplemental manual. With this you will find additional uses along with instructions on how to mount the finger plates like a Keller making it just as fast and easy. The PM machine is not a hobby machine unless you win the lottery.

I have the PC, Keller and the PM machine. The Keller is great, fast and easy. The PC is fine. The trick with the PC is to go online and get the supplemental manual. With this you will find additional uses along with instructions on how to mount the finger plates like a Keller making it just as fast and easy. The PM machine is not a hobby machine unless you win the lottery.

I'll look around and see if i can find this supplemental manual. I took an honest look at my needs for the dovetail jig and I'm certain a 12" model is plenty. Now it's a matter of which one :) I thought posting here would make my choice easy guys now I got like 4 more options ;)

Thank you all so much I really appreciate it.

P.S Mr. Particle Board. When you refer to the PM machine are you referring to one of the floor model powermatic dovetailers?

I'll look around and see if i can find this supplemental manual. I took an honest look at my needs for the dovetail jig and I'm certain a 12" model is plenty. Now it's a matter of which one :) I thought posting here would make my choice easy guys now I got like 4 more options ;)

Thank you all so much I really appreciate it.

P.S Mr. Particle Board. When you refer to the PM machine are you referring to one of the floor model powermatic dovetailers?

Yes machine not jig. That being said the Keller will make dovetails just as nice in not a whole bunch more time if your moving.