The Schwarz has officially lost his mind

Eric.

Haven't seen the article... When did your mag arrive? I assume mine will be here in a day or two...

Tails first? Is this some alternative to the 140 trick? I suppose if you don't have a moving filister -- maybe... But a little too Norm for my taste... Maybe it's some new hybrid hand-cut dovetail technique -- yea, "let's just tack that pin board in place with a couple of brads"???

Who am I to question brad holes next to dt's. I thought it was just another mark, similar to the knife mark at the base line. I just finished a project with both thru and half blind dove tails. My first attempt at both. The half blind came out so well with a cherry front, maple sides contrast, that I was tempted to use a Sharpie and draw an arrow pointing to the knife mark, but I decided not too. Glad now I didn't. When I show the drawer to non-woodworkers, I point out, hey look, hand cut. Their usual response is  "Hmm, cool, anymore beer in the fridge"

• Like 1

I have meet Chris a couple times and exchanged several emails with the guy over the course of the last few years. He is a good dude who genuinely cares about woodworking and helping new woodworkers get into and stay into the craft. I did not read his last article so I can't speak on it directly. What I can say is that on some level it might seem nuts but to someone who is trying to cut their first dovetail it might make complete sense. I think the best way to learn how to cut dovetails is pick one method and get comfortable with it. The blue tape trick works well in my opinion. 

Magazines are a dying breed, the problem is that most of them failed to realize when a transition needed to take place and identifying what industry they are actually in. Same thing happened to railroad companies, they failed to realize that they were not in the railroad business but in the transportation industry. 

Just my 2 cents. 

• Like 1

==>raw an arrow pointing to the knife mark

At some point, I'll go on a rant about leaving baselines... You’re all forewarned... The Knights who say Ni are on the way -- with a herring...

Actually, FWW's got several videos demonstrating various tricks assisting layout transfer... most involve tricks to hold the pins board steady -- brads/nails/etc not needed... Not having seen the article, is he burrying the nail holes behind the joinery?

• Like 1

To respond to the original comment, no I don't have a problem with a couple of tiny holes on the inside of a drawer. There is no structural issue and once the project is put into use, no one will ever notice, and if they do, they can have hours of fun wondering what the heck those holes are there for.

• Like 1

My first big project was a wooden boat, and it is common in boat building to drill holes and drive screws repeatedly through the workpiece.  They get plugged or filled with epoxy later.  Of course, the finish level is different with furniture.

I was building a mast earlier this year and took this picture of two parts that I was scarfing together:

I buried the screw deep so that I could plane over it.  It kept the parts aligned better than clamps, which were in the way of the plane.