Moisture Meter

Coop

I currently have a pinned one from Timber Creek but question it's accuracy when using it on thick 5/4, 6/4 or greater boards. As I can't push the pins in very far and don't want to drive nails, is it not just measuring the moisture at the surface?

The meter I mentioned is able to scan a little over 1" in depth (which includes through very dense material like fiberglass).  If you're working with thick stock (greater than 1") readings can be taken from both sides of the board.  If it's over 3" thick then you may run into problems but you'll likely be re-sawing to a measurable thickness.  After a few days to acclimate you should be able to get accurate readings.  I use it for 8/4 quite a bit and it's always been accurate. 

• Like 1

Accurate deep meters use a slide hammer probe. You don't use a hammer to beat them in. The slide hammer is there to get them in and more importantly back out. Lignomat meters are great and somewhat affordable.

The one that I used required a hammer, but  it was probably 60 years old and looked more like a oscilloscope (it was the size of one) than a modern moisture meter.