Box joint for a bar top

drooney28

It certainly looks like one big lump of wood. But maybe that's the impression it is supposed to give. It may be a thin veneer over a stable substrate (even on end grain) as trying to keep something that length flat, no cupping or twist, would be nigh on impossible with solid stock.

I would love to see it close up.

The two items are very different...  If you zoom in on the first (<ctrl-+> in Firefox), it's clearly multiple boards.

The dovetailed slabs version could be done with a circular saw and cleaned up by hand, or on a large bandsaw with ramps and help.   With the circ saw, you'd clamp on additional pieces and a guide strip.

Those would be dove tails and just darn near impossible to do on your router table without a friend to help. 

Just for the records, I was being facetious :wacko:

If that's real wood, with the grain continuous as it is, that would be one monster, expensive piece of wood. Then adding the dt's, that's quiet an accomplishment.

But, again, there are people with lots more $$ than I have!

The one board slab pic is a version of the Condor tails . I strongly recommend you practice first. Then when you think you are ready to cut into your big stock make sure it is at least 2 or 3 mistakes longer than it needs to be on both the horizontal and vertical pieces. It's far easier to trim it to length after you have made a successful joint.

• Like 1

The one board slab pic is a version of the Condor tails . I strongly recommend you practice first. Then when you think you are ready to cut into your big stock make sure it is at least 2 or 3 mistakes longer than it needs to be on both the horizontal and vertical pieces. It's far easier to trim it to length after you have made a successful joint.

Ha, I thought It was just me that done this… even when I am cutting in a brick arch, I cut the angle then to length. 

That's one of those "palm to head" moments when you screw up a joint and didn't leave enough material to correct it.  Nothing more frustrating from someone who's done it..

• Like 1