A garden gate

TerryMcK

This is a project I built to replace an ageing entrance gate to my house. I covered the build on a project journal thread

• The gate is made from 12/4 American white oak which is not a common timber in the UK as we normally use English or French oak. However the price was right and it was in stock so I snapped it up.
  • The hardware is either totally galvanised or stainless steel.
  • The letters were carved using a routing jig but the numbers were done by hand with a router. I then applied gold leaf to the numbers. The timber used for all the lettered signs and the numbered sign are made from western red cedar (the number board was from a different board hence its colour).
  • Finish is Epiphanes spar varnish (7 coats as per manufacturers recommendations) and the total weight of the piece, as it is nearly 3" thick, with hardware comes in at a very weighty 74 pounds. It closes with a very satisfying clunk.

The next, job as some of the members have suggested, is a matching drawbridge and portcullis  :D.

1-IMG_1063-001.JPG

The view to visitors

1-IMG_1059.JPG

The view from the garden. The road and the path slope - the gate is level - it gives and optical illusion.

1-IMG_1058.JPG

Old faithful before being given a burial at the dump. Maybe somebody up-cycled it... who knows!