Slightly Bigger Than A Breadbox

..Kev

Bread Box - My mother decided she wanted a bread box for Christmas.  Since I already had a board for her, it just made sense to combine the two.

First my "sketchup" drawing in full scale..  As I wanted this bread box to house one of the cutting boards, I needed to get my head around how it was going to work.

999Tau.jpg

Now that I had some rough dimensions, I glued up all the panels oversized.  I'll mill the panels to final thickness before cutting any joinery to ensure a proper fit.  Dominos were used for alignment only.

kz5oiC.jpg

Next, I cut the sides to final size (Except the angle) and figured out the joinery - Rabbets and dadoes. 

qMXCMP.jpg

Thanks to the wife, I got a little sidetracked on the door.  She decided that it needed a stripe to match the cutting board.  I've showed this process a few times so, not going into much detail here. 

K5SUJ8.jpg

Inserted the top (still a dry fit) - Ready to mark and trim the sides.  A little fine tuning the door fit as well but, that will be last.

A7OcyQ.jpg

Just the basics glue up.  Hard to see in the pic but, I rounded the front of the shelves.

HnPwNJ.jpg

Final touch ups before putting finish on the inside.  After that is complete, I'll glue the back in place and add a few more coats to the outside..

u2ZTG8.jpg

Back on and first coat of Arm-R-Seal.

EvfFnO.jpg

All done..  Turned a small handle for it.

619VO4.jpg

IElLhA.jpg

• Like 2

Looks great! Where would I find your post with the detail around creating the curvy stripe? I assume it is more complex than a bandsaw cut to keep the edge jointable.

Go here..  

Actually, I get a clean enough cut off of the BS to go to glue up..

Thanks for the kind words!

you do really nice work, great kitchen projects.  both my mother in law and I love to cook so these are all great gift ideas that will work out well for my own future, both for gifts and just stuff to make for myself.  as an aside, your outfeed / assembly table is really nice, I especially like the holdfasts/dog holes on the front, and of course the storage underneath.  another project Idea to add to the ever-growing list.

really nice work Kev :)

• Like 1