What Have I Done...

Boatworks Today

For starters I am NOT a cat person; actually somewhat detest their bi+chy little attitudes.  They walk around the joint acting like they own it, jump up on everything and knock stuff off the counter, table, etc.  The cherry on top is the litter box..  We just put down a 16yr old lab that had lost control of her hind quarters, and picking up crap off the floor was a daily routine (one that I do not miss). 

But, my Daughter loves these furry little Bast**ds...  My wife used to be a vet tech and is good friends with the owner of our local clinic.  The dreaded phone call came last week of an abandoned litter and since then it's been nearly a daily ritual of bringing Aubrey to the clinic to play with the kittens.  All have been adopted except her favorite and somehow I got convinced into picking this thing up tonight after work as a surprise early x-mas present.  It's only a few weeks old and still needs to be bottle fed. <_<

My biggest hang up is the litter box; it has to be an inside pet as it would either turn into a cat-sicle outside or a meal for something (bobcat, wolf, fox, badger, etc).  I hate the smell of cat poop so I need some advice on the best way to manage this.

Any suggestions would be GREATLY appreciated!

Thanks

The first job I had after leaving the army was in a quarantine kennels where all waste has to be incinerated. Not only did I get to go round picking up poop all day I then got to burn it (normally just after lunch) - highly aromatic. That however paled into insignificance compared to a fortnight working in the cat boarding section. Not only bitten, scratched and spat on but their litter trays made the quarantine waste smell like the most wonderful perfume. My recommendation would be to find some distant relatives you need to visit or failing that...

s300_Airman_claims_marathon_world_record

• Like 1

It sounds like you have a fairly respectable arsenal and a firing range in your backyard.  Kitty stew makes a fine day-after-Thanksgiving meal.  Something light after all that gravy and pie.

I actually like cats, at least watching the giant ones out in nature.  But I've put an end to animals in my house.  I love my kids more than life itself, but I've drawn the line.

When we had cats, we found the "scoopable" scented litter contained the smell better than any of the other varieties.  Problem is...you have to constantly scoop.  But it did seem to neutralize the smell.

What you have to worry about is when they get a bladder infection or get pissed off about something...then they go wherever they please...and if it's on carpet, forget it...you'll never get out the stink.  And hair everywhere.  And shredded couches and recliners.  And hairballs.  And vet bills...

• Like 1

It sounds like you have a fairly respectable arsenal and a firing range in your backyard.  Kitty stew makes a fine day-after-Thanksgiving meal.  Something light after all that gravy and pie.

I actually like cats, at least watching the giant ones out in nature.  But I've put an end to animals in my house.  I love my kids more than life itself, but I've drawn the line.

When we had cats, we found the "scoopable" scented litter contained the smell better than any of the other varieties.  Problem is...you have to constantly scoop.  But it did seem to neutralize the smell.

What you have to worry about is when they get a bladder infection or get pissed off about something...then they go wherever they please...and if it's on carpet, forget it...you'll never get out the stink.  And hair everywhere.  And shredded couches and recliners.  And hairballs.  And vet bills...

He's going to be short a couple "boys" when he gets old enough, and will be taking his front paws to a grinder to take care of those claws.  Daughter #1 is going to get a crash course in responsibility and become intimately comfortable with the smell of poo...

The first job I had after leaving the army was in a quarantine kennels where all waste has to be incinerated. Not only did I get to go round picking up poop all day I then got to burn it (normally just after lunch) - highly aromatic. That however paled into insignificance compared to a fortnight working in the cat boarding section. Not only bitten, scratched and spat on but their litter trays made the quarantine waste smell like the most wonderful perfume. My recommendation would be to find some distant relatives you need to visit or failing that...

s300_Airman_claims_marathon_world_record

I wear one of these as part of my daily routine with work.  Should check to see if they make kid size masks!

They make automated litter boxes. It rakes the clumps out into a tray when the cat is not present.

My girlfriend has 3 cats, the youngest is a neutered male. He is quite entertaining and always up to something. Thankfully litter box cleaning is not my problem . I kinda think this is the best way to have a cat, play with one occasionally and someone else does the work.

I like some cats, not all. Like you, I hate the smell and the mess. I lost my big fuzzy buddy a little over a year ago very unexpectedly.

post-2195-0-76179300-1417208580_thumb.jp

I have not been able to bring myself to replace him yet, but when I do, I will bet getting a Cat Genie. Yep, they are expensive, but damn... that is a cool gadget. They are having a Black Friday Sale as well..

http://www.catgenie.com/

Anyway, check it out. Don't give up on the cats, some of them have amazing personalities... some are just a-holes. LOL

• Like 1

I like some cats, not all. Like you, I hate the smell and the mess. I lost my big fuzzy buddy a little over a year ago very unexpectedly.

attachicon.gif007 (2).JPG

I have not been able to bring myself to replace him yet, but when I do, I will bet getting a Cat Genie. Yep, they are expensive, but damn... that is a cool gadget. They are having a Black Friday Sale as well..

http://www.catgenie.com/

Anyway, check it out. Don't give up on the cats, some of them have amazing personalities... some are just a-holes. LOL

I ordered a Cat Genie for my Wife and it was the biggest waste of $350.00 I have ever spent. Damn thing never did work right and when we called for support all they did was to try and sell us a new updated model. 

Heck they make pampers for babys and adults, maybe you could find some for your kitty cat ;)

My wife and I have 4 cats.  After a long while of using TidyCat and Arm&Hammer litters from walmart we gave the bulk litter at the PetCo a try.  The main draw was that it was cheaper and utilized refillable litter bins (wife hates wasting plastic materials).  We were pleasantly surprised that the cheaper PetCo litter was actually the best performing.  The clumps stay clumped and there's minimal odor.  The other brands would break apart rather frequently - i think it was when they got wet multiple times.  Anyway, when we run out of litter we just bring the empty pail back to the store and refill it (for a discount).  I think it's around 10-11$ a pail, but could be mistaken.

Another tip is to have multiple litter bins.  Even back when I had 1 cat I would have 2 bins side by side.  This was mostly because i was lazy and didn't change the litter often enough, so the extra bin meant twice as much clean litter.  The wife came along and now I get to clean the litter every day (sigh).  We still use multiple bins, but that's mostly because 4 cats still manage to fill them up each day.

My wife and I have 4 cats.  After a long while of using TidyCat and Arm&Hammer litters from walmart we gave the bulk litter at the PetCo a try.  The main draw was that it was cheaper and utilized refillable litter bins (wife hates wasting plastic materials).  We were pleasantly surprised that the cheaper PetCo litter was actually the best performing.  The clumps stay clumped and there's minimal odor.  The other brands would break apart rather frequently - i think it was when they got wet multiple times.  Anyway, when we run out of litter we just bring the empty pail back to the store and refill it (for a discount).  I think it's around 10-11$ a pail, but could be mistaken.

Another tip is to have multiple litter bins.  Even back when I had 1 cat I would have 2 bins side by side.  This was mostly because i was lazy and didn't change the litter often enough, so the extra bin meant twice as much clean litter.  The wife came along and now I get to clean the litter every day (sigh).  We still use multiple bins, but that's mostly because 4 cats still manage to fill them up each day.

Bill, every time I see one of your posts your avatar reminds me of my cat that we lost. Not in a bad way, just makes me smile. :)

I ordered a Cat Genie for my Wife and it was the biggest waste of $350.00 I have ever spent. Damn thing never did work right and when we called for support all they did was to try and sell us a new updated model. 

Heck they make pampers for babys and adults, maybe you could find some for your kitty cat ;)

Thanks woodbutcher, but I will not be deterred! I'm a gadget guy, and this thing looks like something designed by Rube Goldberg. Dear lord, if it came with a remote control I'd buy it even if we didn't get another cat! LOL :o  :D

Another tip is to have multiple litter bins. Even back when I had 1 cat I would have 2 bins side by side.

A lot of times the cats love multiple because they'll pee in one and poop in the other. Cat experts will say you should have N+1 litter boxes where N is the number of cats. By that formula your 4 cats should have 5 boxes. The alternative is daily cleaning I guess, but few have that diligence so poor kitties suffer.

Never been a cat only or dog only person. Lost my Rottweiler Copper about 6 years ago. Best dog ever! Was finally going to get another pet and it was either a Bengal cat or an English Bulldog. Decided single at the time a cat needed less attention. Ended up with two Bengals. Now married and three cats. Multiple boxes and obsessive regular cleanings will do it every time.

post-15913-0-27528800-1417228334_thumb.j

Cool looking cats doc ;).  My best buddy was a black lab / pitbull mix but had to put him down due to cancer a year after some major surgery to try and save him.  Was pretty tore up over it. 

I've had quite a few dogs in my life but he was the best; feisty, playful, built like a tank but still a big gentle baby..  Unfortunately never got to meet any of the girls :(...