Cleaning the Shop

Tom Cancelleri

I've spent the last 3 hours cleaning my shop. It's been accumulating all sorts of stuff and there's clutter everywhere. I'm getting a chance to toss stuff and organize. I've gotten a bunch done, and I can almost move around unobstructed. 

I moved a bunch of wood to my basement. Decided to list the reclaimed barnwood I have for sale so I can get that out of the shop and put it towards something else. 

NOTE: I HATE CLEANING!

Sometimes I need to clean, and sometimes i need to "defragment" and put all the things back where they belong.  I am a very strong believer in "a place for everything, and everything in its place", but in the heat of a project sometimes I lay things down and they dont get returned until later in the project.

I hate cleaning but love having it clean. Sometimes one wins out, sometimes the other. Usually it's pretty clean. I had a 2 day casket building party last weekend & after I vacuumed up 3 buckets of sawdust. What a mess!

I'm now in the process of getting better dust collection & redoing the shop layout which will make it a lot easier to keep clean.

wow you processed that much wood indoors without dust collection?

None on the jointer, tablesaw, router, bandsaw, belt sander or lathe. I do have a set up for the router table and planer. My shop is in the basement, I started a project for the daughter and her boy friend, a storage cabinet, we glued up 5 panels, made 6 drawers with dovetailed corners containing compartments and then spent an hour picking up and hauling out 4 trash bags of shavings.

None on the jointer, tablesaw, router, bandsaw, belt sander or lathe. I do have a set up for the router table and planer. My shop is in the basement, I started a project for the daughter and her boy friend, a storage cabinet, we glued up 5 panels, made 6 drawers with dovetailed corners containing compartments and then spent an hour picking up and hauling out 4 trash bags of shavings.

Holy!  You must have produced some cloud of dust!  How did you keep it from spreading around the rest of your home?

Holy!  You must have produced some cloud of dust!  How did you keep it from spreading around the rest of your home?

The whole house is spray foamed so I may get some odor up stairs if I'm not careful when spraying a finish or messing with solvents but the only real dust issue is me or the cats tracking it up the stairs running in and out. I also can get a pretty good draft with a couple box fans and four windows. I keep furnace filters on the inlet side of the fans, they collect more than most people would believe

I hate cleaning but love having it clean. Sometimes one wins out, sometimes the other. Usually it's pretty clean. I had a 2 day casket building party last weekend & after I vacuumed up 3 buckets of sawdust. What a mess!

I'm now in the process of getting better dust collection & redoing the shop layout which will make it a lot easier to keep clean.

I'm sure you're aware that you can't get away with this without someone asking!

What is a casket building party?

I heard Marc mention the '10 things rule' once, which is before you close up the shop for the night put away 10 things. Since I've implemented that rule my shop has been much more clutter free, and things that didn't previously have a home now have one.

I also cheat considerably when I count a handful of washers as 10 things.

I used to have three card tables in various corners of the shop which did nothing but collect clutter. Magically, when I folded them up and removed them ...the clutter disappeared.