Cleaning the Shop

Tom Cancelleri

I have a practice called organized chaos.  My shop is likely different than most given the nature of my work, but there is an order to my madness.  Tools always get put away each night (and it's VIP that everything has it's place).  If I spend more than 5 minutes walking around in circles looking for something I fear I may get stuck and spend an entire day huddled in the corner of a room mumbling (cursing) at my imaginary helper <_<.

I typically have 3-4 projects going at any given time and as it happens, they are all a bit different.  So, I have stations for various things as it doesn't make sense to put EVERYTHING away at night as it would take a couple hours each day putting things away just to take them back out the following morning.  One table is for resins and glass, another for sanding, another table for finishing (paints, thinners, etc) and my outfeed table doubles as an assembly / catch-all (which gets cleared each night). 

Most projects are in the shop ranging anywhere from a couple weeks to a few months, so deep cleaning happens twice a year (spring and fall when there's no big stuff in the work bays).  This involves power spraying the floors, blowing off the walls, wiping down all the ledges, doors, tools, vacuuming the relief cracks in the cement, removing everything off the shelves, wiping that down, sorting and putting back in place.  Clean,clean,clean.  This usually takes a week.

During the Summer when I need to clean, I turn on the exhaust fans and take an air hose to everything :).  The work bay is essentially a 30x54 "spray booth" so airborne dust doesn't stick around very long B).

• Like 1

I also use Marc's "10 things" rule.  It really helps to keep the shop clean, and to keep track of my tools, too.

My biggest problem is wood scraps.

I am making a small herd of Mel's famous reindeer out of some really nice cherry stock, and can't bring myself to toss the scraps.  

Now, if I can just figure out what to do with nine "anti-reindeer".   :unsure:

• Like 1

Thanks for the comment. They are famous :) atleast here... ;)

I remember seeing the 10 things rule in the back of an old woodcraft magazine. Maybe it was wood... About 10 or so years ago. Can't remember what I had for lunch yesterday! How can I remember 10 years ago... I digress... That is a good rule to follow. Another is simply having a place for everything. I am working on that one myself!

My biggest problem is wood scraps.

I am making a small herd of Mel's famous reindeer out of some really nice cherry stock, and can't bring myself to toss the scraps.

Now, if I can just figure out what to do with nine "anti-reindeer". :unsure:

I have 2 home depot buckets full of reindeer negatives. It's like the reindeer. Graveyard. I already made some reindeer from the negatives, but that was when I was using 8/4 stock.

• Like 1

I have 2 home depot buckets full of reindeer negatives. It's like the reindeer. Graveyard. I already made some reindeer from the negatives, but that was when I was using 8/4 stock.

I have a buckets of Burl, Ebony, bubinga and padauk. Can't figure out what to do with it either! Hate to toss it out, so it just sits there in buckets. If anyone has an idea, I'm all ears.

I heard Marc mention the '10 things rule' once, which is before you close up the shop for the night put away 10 things. Since I've implemented that rule my shop has been much more clutter free, and things that didn't previously have a home now have one.

I also cheat considerably when I count a handful of washers as 10 things.

I used to have three card tables in various corners of the shop which did nothing but collect clutter. Magically, when I folded them up and removed them ...the clutter disappeared.

I do that, or at least try to, with the dishes. I wash at least 5 dishes every day.

I have a buckets of Burl, Ebony, bubinga and padauk. Can't figure out what to do with it either! Hate to toss it out, so it just sits there in buckets. If anyone has an idea, I'm all ears.

I have some pieces today I could chuck up and turn knobs and such. The other thing I was thinking was to slice em and use them for splines and inlay pieces

Open the front door, open the back door, turn every fan pointing at the back door, wear respirator, grab leaf blower and go to town! I wait until all my neighbors have left the building. The cloud of dust is incredible .

5 gallon bucket, scoff, try 55 gallon drums of weird sizes and shape of wood too nice to trash. Eventually they get culled and head to the fireplace.

• Like 1

+1 on the Electric leaf blower/ fan/window maneuver.

Before I go upstairs I'll usually hold my breath, give the place a once over with the leaf blower to get it airborn, put the air filter on a 1 hour timer, and head up.

My cat actually gets asthma flare ups when I cut or sand mdf. All the health and safety disclaimers out there never mention the pets.

Clean the dust for your pets health too!