Shaker Coffee Table - Completed (2 Posts)

rodger.

Thanks for the comments guys! I hope my wife reads this post and sticks a Festool Track saw under the Christmas tree for me!  The dust collection of the festool would be a welcome addition to a small space.

The pitch pockets are kind of annoying, but the good news is they are easy to hide with epoxy and a bit of dye.  I would like to send "props" out to steve and don for teaching me the epoxy trick way back in the "monster counter top" project i did.

I do miss my old, much larger, shop.  This shop is much more efficient in space, heat, and tooling than my previous one.  Its small, but I'm just as productive in the small shop as the large one.  I plan on replacing a few more tools with more space efficient ones in the not too distant future.  I could save some more space by upgrading to the Kapex CMS for example ($$$), and using my current CMS saw as a renovation saw.

Final Prep Before Finish

I did the final prep - sanding all again to 220, and end grain to 400.  Before the final sanding, I did some epoxy repairs.  I mixed up some 5 minute epoxy with a bit of black dye stain so I could fill in the sap pockets.

post-6372-0-98661600-1418168209_thumb.jp

Then I let it dry overnight, after I spread it nice and thick over the repair areas.

post-6372-0-93910200-1418168261_thumb.jp

I cleaned up the epoxy repairs with a sharp chisel and some sandpaper.  Then I put a slight chamfer on the bottom of the legs, and broke all the edges with sandpaper.

post-6372-0-06269900-1418168562_thumb.jp

Then I raised the grain and knocked off the fuzz with some sandpaper.

Next thing to do is apply finish.  Then after the finish is dry, I will need to add the cleats to attach the top.  Almost done!

Next Post - applying finish

Mans got balls to be mixing epoxy on his wife's granite countertops ! And the stupidity to document it in pictures ! But he got the excuse that he's working on her coffee table ......

That's what I thought when I saw that :) 

Pug thanks for the great documentation on this... I hope you realize how truly helpful it is for a neophyte such as myself.

That's what I thought when I saw that :) 

Pug thanks for the great documentation on this... I hope you realize how truly helpful it is for a neophyte such as myself.

I have taken so much from this forum (and Marc's site). I happy to give back to the community and to make a contribution.

Finishing and Loose Ends

My finish of choice for this project was oil based wipe on poly.  I used minwax wipe on poly for this project, and put 4 coats on the base and 6 coats on the top.

After the base was dry, I added the cross members so I could attach the top.  I drilled two 1/4 inch holes in each member, and then routed a 1/4" slot.  Afterwards, I routed a 1/2" slot over the 1/4" slot to allow washer head screws to nest.  Pocket holes join the cross members to the aprons.

post-6372-0-82589600-1418700428_thumb.jp

Then I laid the base on the top (upside down) and adjusted the overhang.  I modified my original design, and went with a 3" OH on each end, and 1" overhang on the edges.

post-6372-0-59479000-1418700465_thumb.jp

Then I drove some 1 1/4" washer head screws to hold it all together (Kreg screws).

So here is the final product!

post-6372-0-06044000-1418700630_thumb.jppost-6372-0-26975500-1418700606_thumb.jppost-6372-0-51052200-1418700649_thumb.jp

Continued....

After going back over this project journal, I realize that many of my photos are not high quality.  Maybe I need to buy a real camera and avoid using my phone's built in one.

Come to think of it, I think my wife has a Nikkon D40 hanging around that is not being used.  She replaced it a few years ago with some fancy-dancy model that cost as much as a kapex.

After going back over this project journal, I realize that many of my photos are not high quality.  Maybe I need to buy a real camera and avoid using my phone's built in one.

Come to think of it, I think my wife has a Nikkon D40 hanging around that is not being used.  She replaced it a few years ago with some fancy-dancy model that cost as much as a kapex.

I bought my wife a really nice camera last year for Christmas so I could use it in the shop  ;)

• Like 1

Damn pug...we're gonna have to upgrade yours from "shop" to "factory" if you keep pumping out projects at this rate.

Haha, I am being productive lately. I used to shut down for winter, but with the smaller shop I can heat it fast and get a few hours in at night.

I am almost 1/2 way done a learning tower for my daughter currently. I'll post a pic when done (no journal for the tower though).