Breadboard ends and film finish

Jerry_in_SD

Hi all,

I'm in the process of building a smallish (29 x 48) dining table for a breakfast nook. I'm using African Mahogany and it is going to somewhat Greene & Greene inspired to match my kitchen. Top will have 3" breadboard ends. I plan on finishing the top using GF Enduro VAR - probably 4 spray coats to provide protection for daily use unless I like it so much, I invest in a plate glass for the top.

Typically G&G breadboard ends are proud about 1/8" but in this case, my breadboard ends will be flush with the top since that detail would be a pain for dining. I will glue in the center 4" of tenon with screws on each side hidden by ebony details.

So a long setup to a simple question. When a breadboard is flush with the top and a film finish is applied, what happens when the core has seasonal movement with respect to the breadboard? I would think the film finish would crack and look unsightly along that joint.

Maybe I'm concerned about nothing?

Thanks for your help.

The expansion would be the same regardless of having raised bread boards or flush bread boards so, I don't think you'll see any issues different that you'd see with raised breadboards.  I think you'll be fine.

Yes, but grain is oriented 90 deg between the core and the breadboards. The core so going to expand and contract way more than the ends which is why you don't glue the breadboard the full width.

Maybe the finish has enough elasticity, especially with only a 29" width that this would not be a concern.

I've done quite a few breadboard ends and haven't noticed an issue with 90 degree expansion on the finish. Unless you're brushing the finish on and apply it heavy on the ends / joint the film in that area is going to be thin; just the nature of the beast especially when spraying. Even of it does crack from expansion it's going to be along the seam and not noticeable.

I recall a very similar discussion from about this time last year, and I believe it ended in the same conclusion. Your finish would have to be extremely thick, and not well bonded to the wood for it to crack elsewhere thannalong the joint itself. If you are still worried, just make the tiniest of chamfers along the joint, to form a small 'V' groove. That will pretty much garantee any separation will occur right aling the joint.