Shop Tour

..Kev

Rockler t-track in the assembly/outfeed table? I like the idea of just two central tracks to save a bit not running it to the edge or having to buy the damn intersections. How do you like that setup?

To me, this set up as absolutely awesome!  I use it way more often than I thought I ever would.  I should have my head examined for not doing it much sooner.

What kind of heat is that? I don't see a vent.... Although the brick is nice.

It's a 50k BTU Pellet stove.  I heat my house with pellets as well.  I just set the thermostat and walk away.  Toss a bag of pellets in it every couple days and I'm good to go.

• Like 1

Very nice shop and setup. I thought about a pellet stove for mine but wasn't convinced how well it would do when colder.

They are my only source of heat in the shop as well as my house.  It gets cold up here in the Northwest for sure.  

It was 18 degrees outside today and my shop was a comfortable 70..

i love it and i hate you :) always like seeing other peoples shops im thinking when i get my shop up and going my chop saw stand will just be shelves and ill put milk crates full of off cuts on those shelves. ocd a out orginization is a good thing in a shop that way we will have all our small stuff on end so we can see what we got.  i love the drawers with all the small parts im going to have lots of small drawer sections like that since i do so much with stone inlay and jewelry, small stuff so i need room for that besides the normal screws and bolts ill need divided drawers for.  looks like your wood rack is lonely you need to stock up on more stuff :) 

ok ok i admit it i am a wood hoarder but i never know what special grain or figure ill need for a project.  

i plan on making sure i have dust collection hooked up if its not easy i probably wont do it so i want pvc pip in place im not going to drag a hose from tool to tool like some wood workers.  i want my shop to be mostly clean and that means cleaning has to be easy....what can i say im lazy its easer to just go on to the next project or go inside for some food and not clean at the end of the day. 

i love it and i hate you :) always like seeing other peoples shops im thinking when i get my shop up and going my chop saw stand will just be shelves and ill put milk crates full of off cuts on those shelves. ocd a out orginization is a good thing in a shop that way we will have all our small stuff on end so we can see what we got.  i love the drawers with all the small parts im going to have lots of small drawer sections like that since i do so much with stone inlay and jewelry, small stuff so i need room for that besides the normal screws and bolts ill need divided drawers for.  looks like your wood rack is lonely you need to stock up on more stuff :)

ok ok i admit it i am a wood hoarder but i never know what special grain or figure ill need for a project.  

i plan on making sure i have dust collection hooked up if its not easy i probably wont do it so i want pvc pip in place im not going to drag a hose from tool to tool like some wood workers.  i want my shop to be mostly clean and that means cleaning has to be easy....what can i say im lazy its easer to just go on to the next project or go inside for some food and not clean at the end of the day. 

Thanks Duck!

My wood is running a little thin right now but, I'll restock it.

My dust collector is actually in my garage (Jointer end of the shop but, attached to this building) and is activated by remote.  The major tools each have their own gate and I just open/close as needed.

Great shop Kev. It was a recording studio once?

Yes, this was actually the main room for the recording studio.  My wife got the control room for her quilting and the 3 remaining 10 x 12 rooms are mostly storage,  I also have a reloading room in there.

On the good side, I can run all the equipment at any hour of the day and not disturb anyone.  The down side to that, if I'm alone, they can't hear me scream either  ;)

It's a 50k BTU Pellet stove.  I heat my house with pellets as well.  I just set the thermostat and walk away.  Toss a bag of pellets in it every couple days and I'm good to go.

I was learning towards a pellet stove and wanted to go that way, but when I told people I planned on keeping the shop at 40 when I wasn't in there and bumping up to 60 to work in there, they said it wouldn't do that quickly. If I want to spray waterbornes then I need it 65-68 so even tougher. I don't actually know how long it would take a pellet stove to go from 40-60 but it takes my propane furnace 30-40 minutes. When I did the calculations, the price of pellets vs propane was about even. A pellet stove definitely wins in the coolness factor. 

Now, from a person who hates to paint and just put 18 gallons of paint and primer in my shop, I have to get this off my chest - you need to paint your walls!

• Like 1

I was learning towards a pellet stove and wanted to go that way, but when I told people I planned on keeping the shop at 40 when I wasn't in there and bumping up to 60 to work in there, they said it wouldn't do that quickly. If I want to spray waterbornes then I need it 65-68 so even tougher. I don't actually know how long it would take a pellet stove to go from 40-60 but it takes my propane furnace 30-40 minutes. When I did the calculations, the price of pellets vs propane was about even. A pellet stove definitely wins in the coolness factor. 

Now, from a person who hates to paint and just put 18 gallons of paint and primer in my shop, I have to get this off my chest - you need to paint your walls!

Pellet prices here have been pretty steady for a long time.  I buy 2 pallets of pellets a year for a total cost of about 400 bucks.  It's cheaper when you buy it by the pallet.  The issue with propane is the price fluctuates too much IMO and we won't even talk about the tank..   ;)

I turn my heat in the shop off at night completely.  It was 30 degrees in there this morning when I fired it up.  Came in and got my coffee and went back out about 1/2 hour later to find it was at 60 degrees.  Now, I'm heating less space than you are so that will definitely make a difference.  I also heat my house with pellets and we turn that down quite a bit at night but, the house heats up fairly quickly in the mornings.  The thermostats are programmable just like any other heating unit and they turn themselves on and off..

Solid shop, Kev.  You gotta lotta space.

I have one of those retractable hose reels, but I haven't put it up because I almost never need compressed air.  How often do you use yours?  I use my brad nailers occasionally for jigs, but I was thinking about selling them and the compressor off because they just take up space 99.9% of the time.  Or maybe I'll get a pancake and put it in the attic on a switch.  Sorry for thinking out loud off topic in the middle of your shop tour thread. :blink:

Solid shop, Kev.  You gotta lotta space.

I have one of those retractable hose reels, but I haven't put it up because I almost never need compressed air.  How often do you use yours?  I use my brad nailers occasionally for jigs, but I was thinking about selling them and the compressor off because they just take up space 99.9% of the time.  Or maybe I'll get a pancake and put it in the attic on a switch.  Sorry for thinking out loud off topic in the middle of your shop tour thread. :blink:

All good Eric, I'm sure others had the same questions..

I don't shoot many brads either.  However, I love to have the air when it's time for a good deep clean of the shop or for blowing stuff off before finish.

The compressor is a small portable Makita that sits in the next room so I don't have to listen to it.  Comes in handy for framing and things like that so, I keep it around along with my arsenal of Senco guns.