Veritas seconds

Bill Tarbell

Anyone else make use of the Lee Valley cyber monday sale?  I jumped on right at midnight and began going through the 4 pages of items.  The website started to slow down at 12:05, but by 12:07 i was ready to checkout.  Sadly, the shopping cart page was extremely slow and kept loading 0 items.  This lasted for about an hour and a half!  I was finally able to complete my order at about 1:30.  I was bummed to find out that one of my items(carcass rip saw) had already been sold out by the time i got the cart to work.  Here's the stuff i did end up getting though:

Veritas® Cabinet Scraper (saved 35%) 

Veritas® #5-1/4W Bench Plane, A2 Blade (saved 35%) 

Veritas® Flush-Cutting Saw, Single Edge (saved 50%) 

I'm new to woodworking and this was my first veritas monday.  How does this year's selection compare to prior years?  They had 14 different models of seconds this year - 2 saws, a vise, and the rest were some form of hand plane.  It appears they also use cyber monday to liquidate some non-veritas stock.

Yay!  .. The carcass rip saw went back in stock from being sold out earlier.  I placed my order and now it's marked as sold out again.  I guess someone canceled their order and so i was able to get the last one.  The only bummer is that I had to pay $10 shipping since it was a separate order.  I called customer service to see if could combine orders but the guy couldn't move it to my first order without risking that the system would re-allocate the saw to someone else in the time it took to remove from one order and add to the other.  That dropped the savings from $20 to only $10.. but, i was going to buy it anyway, so i guess any savings is worthwhile.

I'm new to woodworking and this was my first veritas monday.  How does this year's selection compare to prior years?  They had 14 different models of seconds this year - 2 saws, a vise, and the rest were some form of hand plane.  It appears they also use cyber monday to liquidate some non-veritas stock.

I would say a little less this year, just from memory, so that might be just the planes.  Thought about the shooting plane, but have built up most of the rest or an equivalent over the years.  This year, they did not put any gift cards into the mix, probably sensible.

The order from Cyber Monday came in today.  Here are some pictures for those that have never ordered a Veritas "second" before.  You have to look rather close and in some cases make a guess as to what the defect even is.

They use the same packaging as a standard product, but simply add a yellow S sticker to it to indicate it's a Second.

post-15737-0-63819500-1417746903_thumb.j

Here are the products i got as a discount (Dovetail, Carcass, 5 1/4, cabinet scraper):

post-15737-0-22506900-1417746969_thumb.j

Carcass Saw - This one was kind of tough.  There are a handful of slight discolorations in the steel, but it honestly looks similar to the marks you'd expect to find on metal when it was shipped with plastic stuck to it.  You can't feel them at all when you run your finger across them.  I'm really not sure if these marks were from the shipping bag or if they are the reason for the defect status. Either way, it's all i could discover.

post-15737-0-22804700-1417747605_thumb.j

Dovetail Saw - This one has tiny black lines on the steel.  You can't feel them and it also reminds me of the look when a machine oiled surface that had plastic stuck to it..

post-15737-0-80305500-1417747222_thumb.j

Cabinet Scraper - This one was a bit more obvious.  There were a few small pits in the steel.  You can see them on the image as the little black dots.  You can feel them but they're acceptable to me.

post-15737-0-96944800-1417747355_thumb.j

5 1/4 Plane - Also obvious. One of the sides had a bunch of discolored marks on the steel.  You can't feel them but they give the look of a scratched surface so it'd be a bit saddening to receive it if you paid full price for it.  The sole looks perfect.

post-15737-0-77433400-1417747621_thumb.j

post-15737-0-56029000-1417747628_thumb.j

And here's the full order, not that the rest of the stuff is all that exciting.  The Flush Cut Saw was in the cyber monday list as 50% off but wasn't marked as a second.  It appears to be just the standard saw priced at a discount rather than having any defect.

post-15737-0-02242000-1417747696_thumb.j