Desk Clock - first solo project

SlurmsMcWoodsy

I figure this is as good a subject as any for my first post.

Last year I spent almost every Saturday for a few months at my step-grandfather's house while he helped me make a dresser and teach me about woodworking in the process. 

With the help of a generous friend who's lent me the use of his workshop (I'm in a basement apartment, so not exactly any room for one myself), I've created my first solo product! It'll be a gift to my mom, whose dad spent most of his life in carpentry and woodcarving and unfortunately died when I was 14, way before I knew I'd be interested in all of this.

I have to say, the pride I feel in this little imperfection-laden clock is unlike any other I've felt before :) Of course, it still needs hands (and I'll probably re-do the face into something more classy)...

post-16495-0-43028900-1417493047_thumb.j

post-16495-0-55777000-1417493095_thumb.j

post-16495-0-01547100-1417493139_thumb.j

• Like 1

Thanks, Dave. This makes me think I should let my mom choose if she wants to switch it out. Also, I'm jealous you live in Jackson. I love the Tetons SO much.

That's funny Slurms. I do most of my outdoor recreation in SE Utah (boating on the Colorado River and canyoneering near Hanksville).

I was thinking how fortunate you are to be living only 2-3 hrs. from Canyonlands!

Regarding the clock face...to my eye, sometimes simple is better.

Of course you could ask your Mom, but when I ask my wife about details of design she tells me that I'm the craftsman and it's up to me to decide.

Your Mom may say; "I don't like this and that", but somehow I doubt it.

I'll bet she's going to love it...and will say: "I like it as it is."

Dave

Did you see that imperfection there, and over there and that one under there?  I didn't, and if you say nothing they won't be found by anyone else either!  It's a hell of a good project and there is a rule in woodworking you should consider.... KISS   Keep It Simple Stupid!  Simple is beautiful when done right.... And you did it right!

Thanks for the comments! I appreciate the feedback. Makes me think of my acting career in high school: if you screw up a line, act like it was written that way.

What timber have you used?

Soft maple left over from the dresser I mentioned in the OP, using a clear seal and satin top coat. I learned a lesson about how wood colors w/ age, as I had to buy one more small piece for the base, whereas the rest of it was milled about a year ago and had darkened. Doesn't look bad by any means, but good to see the difference.

That's funny Slurms. I do most of my outdoor recreation in SE Utah (boating on the Colorado River and canyoneering near Hanksville).

I was thinking how fortunate you are to be living only 2-3 hrs. from Canyonlands!

I love Southern Utah, as well. Kind of spoils a person to live right between high alpine mountains and red rock desert. 

• 3 weeks later...