Buck Bros, socketed gouge chisel use

bernieswanson

It is a gouge but looks more like a chisel intended for striking with a mallet. The handle would not be long enough for a turning tool. Also the handle may pull out of a socket easier than that tang chisel would if used to turn. My guess is it is used for carving. You could quite easily make a replacement handle for it.

There is one currently for sale here http://www.antique-used-tools.com/buck_bros.htm for $169.95 and the quote is "very rare". That one has a metal hoop around the striking edge of the handle and says dates from the 1920s.

Far from rare. It's a common out cannel bench or firmer gouge. They were available in socketed and tanged styles. Mostly used for roughing out concave depressions before using finer tools. They're kind of thick and clunky for carving fine decorative detail, but they work well for roughing in the concave sections of large curved moldings and other such architectural details in buildings. Carving gouges for find work are MUCH thinner and finer and are tanged not socketed.

I don't use my heavy out cannel gouges much but they're nice to have in some situations. For furniture work, in cannel gouges are far more useful in my opinion.