Fine Woodworking Magazine Archive

I did a search and didn't find anything recent on this.  I was just wondering, from the people that own this, if you decide you really like this method of searching articles, do you need to buy it each year to keep it updated with content?  Also, how is the picture quality?  Seems like it might need to be compressed a lot to fit on a DVD.  Any other feedback?  I'm quite interested but if I end up needing to search this and the website both in order to find whatever I might be looking for in the future, it might not really be worth it.

I have several decades on the print magazine on the shelf, but even with an index finding an article was a challenge. With online membership I get searchable acess to the entire catalog back to the first issue. So I haven't even looked at the archive CD .

I have downloaded quite a few PDF files of articles to my iPad for reference in the shop.

I have this and it contains all issues to Dec 2012 Tools and Shops issue 230. The issues are all on PDF and the document quality is really high including photos. I haven't seen a 2013 yearly update but that doesn't mean there isn't one.
I now get new issues, including all those published in 2013, using the IOS app and that too is exceptional quality.

When I bought mine from Highland Woodworking I also got a reprinted Issue 1 in a presentation box. Not sure they still do that.

I just purchased the DVD in hopes of having a better way to find what I'm looking for. Most times, when I search their site, I'm really just looking for official magazine articles. But the search results are mixed with other content from the FWW site including their gallery and some less informative blog-style posts. So the DVD does exactly what I wanted it to do VERY WELL. I can search through the magazines  via keywords, titles, or even full text. Much more efficient than the website. I can also export a PDF of any article or full issue I want and save it to my desktop. Image quality is more than adequate. 

As for updating, that's the only crappy thing since they obviously can't magically update my DVD. But at $69 for nearly 40 years of content, I'm not going to complain about that. Maybe someday I can sell this DVD and then put that money back into the latest one at some point in the future.

If you buy a woodworking book you will get 10-20 projects and some tips for anywhere from $15-$30 (e-book to hardback). The DVD gives you almost 40 years worth of tips, interivews and projects, plus a chance to see how much inflation has increased the cost of tools. Even with shipping that's a good deal. I have last years DVD and I am glad I spent the money.

mikemenifee, on 02 Dec 2014 - 10:52 AM, said:snapback.png

You can purchase just the update. I think it's around 19.99.

Has anyone done this?  Hopefully it would roll the new content into the existing search mechanism.

After I posted this I went to the site ,called and ordered the update, 19.95. It will merge with the prior years.

Taunton has a nice offer if you have a previous version of the archive older than 2013.   You can purchase the 2014 archive directly from Taunton customer service for $39.95.  I had previously purchased the archive back in 2002.

Hello SwedishWW and welcome to the forum. Do you have a url link for this as mine is the entire archive from 1975 to 2012? I could do with an update to plug the gap I have (specifically 2013 issues).

Got lucky on this one for a change.  I'd been wanting back issues of Fine Homebuilding for some time and one went up for sale on Amazon for $25.00!  All issues up until 2013.  It was being sold as new and was inside cellophane... I suspect the seller did what Marc suggested but the DVD looks brand new and works great.  

Take a gander over at Amazon once in a while and see if anyone is selling an archive DVD of Fine woodworking.  Can't beat $25 for an amazing resource!!!