Fine Woodworking Magazine Archive

If you are a Linux user, you could browse through the links and copy each download address, then write a small shell script to cycle through the list and fetch them with wget.

Windows does shell scripting too you know. =p   Also for that you only need a simple batch file not even really a script.  There's probably also "download manager" apps that could mostly do it for you...especially if there's a single page (or small set of pages) with links to all of them.

Windows does shell scripting too you know. =p Also for that you only need a simple batch file not even really a script. There's probably also "download manager" apps that could mostly do it for you...especially if there's a single page (or small set of pages) with links to all of them.

Yeah, I know. Linux shell scripting is similar to Windows batch / cmd files. I just couldn't think of a readily available download tool fir Windows, whereas wget is easy-peasy under Linux.

Heck, its probably available for Windows too.

Wing - I pay the 4.99/month for the online membership and think it's worth the money.  Plus, you can save whatever PDF's you like to your own archive if you wish.

I just signed up for the 14 day trial. I need to renew my print subscription. So, if I like the online membership, I can package them for a discount. My question about the online subscription is, Do all the ads etc. go away, or will I have to look at junk taking up 50% of my screen all the time? I also have copies going back to 1985 or so. Crap I'm Old! LOL

I'm using explorer with ad blocker deactivated, and it's ad city.

That said, the archived articles are all pdf's.

I'll leave it to the IT nerds...ahem...experts, to opine on removing them.

:)

It's probably best not to give instruction as to how to block ads since they're one of the ways this forum is funded.  If someone really wants to know then it's a simple google search away.  :)

I don't subscribe but one thing to consider is that they lost 3 of their big writers recently.  They left to form 360Woodworking.com.  They may still contribute a few articles that they had already begun or are under contract to complete, but their main focus will now be on 360ww.  I'm sure FineWoodworking will still remain a nice magazine, but they may undergo a temporary shift due to their loss.  Or.. it could swing the other way and some new faces may bring about lots of fresh new content.  Anyway, just know the FineWoodworking waters have been stirred up a bit, for better or worse.

I don't subscribe but one thing to consider is that they lost 3 of their big writers recently. They left to form 360Woodworking.com. They may still contribute a few articles that they had already begun or are under contract to complete, but their main focus will now be on 360ww. I'm sure FineWoodworking will still remain a nice magazine, but they may undergo a temporary shift due to their loss. Or.. it could swing the other way and some new faces may bring about lots of fresh new content. Anyway, just know the FineWoodworking waters have been stirred up a bit, for better or worse.

Oh wow did not know that. Thanks for the heads up.

I wonder if 360woodworking will put out a hard copy of anything?

• 2 weeks later...

Just put this on my PC. The setup file appears to simply just copy every bit of data onto your hard drive. The files on the dvd itself appear to be hidden.

That said, if you want to say, copy the pdf to your iPad to read in iBooks on the plane, you can find each issue in the Taunton/Fine Woodworking archive/Data-FWW/ Issues Folder on the your hard drive after install.

You can email it to yourself, open on your iPad, open the pdf in iBooks when prompted, and you're all set to read thr magazines you just purchased on your iPad.

You can also drag the pdf's to iTunes and sync your books, but that to me has always been a hassle.

Just put this on my PC. The setup file appears to simply just copy every bit of data onto your hard drive. The files on the dvd itself appear to be hidden.

That said, if you want to say, copy the pdf to your iPad to read in iBooks on the plane, you can find each issue in the Taunton/Fine Woodworking archive/Data-FWW/ Issues Folder on the your hard drive after install.

You can email it to yourself, open on your iPad, open the pdf in iBooks when prompted, and you're all set to read thr magazines you just purchased on your iPad.

You can also drag the pdf's to iTunes and sync your books, but that to me has always been a hassle.

Another option is use Google drive and you can open them anywhere.

I have used Evernote on occasion and it does search PDFs both in the free and premium versions but there are some limitations.  Here's a links to a discussion on the Evernote forums that may enlighten everyone.

https://discussion.evernote.com/topic/40599-pdf-search-capability/

Basically the bottom line is that there are some size limitations and in some cases the content type may impact the search ability.  E.G. if was previously converted from Word or already OCR'd.  Still though I think it would be a good option for making the archive more portable.  Also worth noting (pardon the pun) is that you can use Evernote to annotate the articles which of course is one of the main functions of Evernote :)  So you can make your own customized versions of the articles for your archives/records and you might do while building a project.

A REVIEW

So when I picked this up, my primary usage was the ability to search, say, 'shaker', and see my 5000 results.  Which of course, works great.

What really surprised me is the quality of content in the early issues of the publication.  I read through issues 1 - 3 last night, and thoroughly enjoyed each piece, as they were completely different from anything I've seen in a recent woodworking mag.

Several of the articles had a primary focus on a particular 'model' of furniture from a lost era (e.g. 18th century mechanical desks, 17th century stamp boxes, library ladders, something called 'Tramp Art' that I've never heard of but found insanely interesting, etc.).  They were well written and enjoyable reads for anyone with a passion for the craft. 

There is considerable consideration of the importance of 'design', and it's a reoccurring theme in what I've read thus far. 

Book reviews...from <GASP>, publishers not affiliated with the magazine.

What I found really interesting were the strong opinions included in the articles.  No milquetoast pander to everyone 'editors note' you find today.  Quote below from a 1975 FWW article:

There should be an effort made to put more respect into vocational training.  A student taking vocational training is just as intelligent as a student enrolled in a college program, the only difference is that the student does not want to be an academician.  I think it's better to be a good craftsman and happy than to be a doctor or lawyer and unhappy just to satisfy mom and dad.

I'm pretty sure the author's head would explode if he saw the sad state of affairs of vokey today.

A few things stand out to me:

1. A focus on the written word.  There's no fear from the publisher that a potential buyer will pick up this mag at the newsstand, flip through with their thumb from the back, not see any pictures, and put the mag back on the rack next to an issue of Juggs.  The articles are well written, and each a good 5-10 minute read.  Pictures are few and far between, and as such make more of an impact.  Many of the pics to depict a technique are hand drawn... and while minimalist, convey the point (a testament to the art and skill of drafting).

2. The magazine could be enjoyed by anyone with a passion fine woodworking.  Beginners, experts, and even folks that just appreciate the end result...the art of...wait for it...fine woodworking.

3. The elegant cover.  Simply the name of the publication, and a picture of a beautiful piece of worked wood.  What wasn't on the cover was,

"BUILD A CROSSCUT SLED",

"DOVETAILS ON THE JOINTER??  WE'LL SHOW YOU HOW", and,

"YOU ASKED AND WE LISTENED!  WE RATED THE BEST 50 MARKING GAUGES".

4. There's a technique articles on hand cut dovetails.  Ok, not surprised...it's the woodworking equivalent to Purple Haze in guitar mags. 

Sure It's in black and white, but it's extremely well written and accompanied by small photos illustrating each minor, yet crucial maneuver.  The comprehensive descriptions and photos of technique are as good as what you'd see in Gary R's big book of joinery    They even took the time to put each photo NEXT TO each step (and not on the next page).  It's also a 6 page article and the probably the best I've read on the often re-re-re-rehashed topic.  And it certainly doesn't end with "Want to see the whole article?  Go to our website!"

5. Lastly, it actually looks like a niche publication.  There's no lowest common denominator, wham, bam, BUY ME OF THE RACK!, short attention span content and layout.

So there's my review on 1975 FWW.  I highly recommend this DVD for the old content.

So pick up the classic FWW collection, grab your ipad or laptop, sit in your white egg shaped quadrophonic chair, spin 1975's Physical Graffiti, Night at the Opera, or Wish you Were Here, put your long hair behind both ears with your index and middle finger, and shine on you crazy diamond. 

And since it's 1975 again, notice that the wide flat surface of the DVD case is quite useful...just saying.

• Like 1

• 10 months later...

No they have two different products.  

The online subsription does include access to all past articles.  

They also sell a DVD that has all back issues digitized and in an easily readable format.

The oline access is good for getting one article at a time.  The DVD is good for reading entire back issues.  

Thanks Mike. Definitely going to DVD/USB route vs online access.