Something's wrong with my circular saw

Niku

I now have to turn the switch ON at least four times to get it started. The first three times, there is no response. The third might produce a sound that I find difficult to describe, maybe like shaking a sheet of aluminum. The next try will start the saw for maybe a second. Finally, the last attempt gets the saw operating  with no further problems

I have no electrical or mechanical skills. Does this seem like something easy to fix, or is it time to buy another saw? If it's something I might be able to fix, how do I do it?

This site is the greatest. I posted my inquiry, got many replies in no time at all, took off and examined the switch assembly, called Ryobi and placed my order for the switch assembly for my Ryobi 10" portable saw. It cost $10.95.

I bought the switch assembly because most of you thought that was the problem, because taking it off was extremely easy (I like easy first), and because there was no accumulation of sawdust that I could see in the switch. Also, the technician at Ryobi thought that the symptoms I described would most probably be caused by a faulty switch. It's possible that my problem is being caused by something else, but I think most of you have identified the culprit. Thanks again.

• Like 1

This site is the greatest. I posted my inquiry, got many replies in no time at all, took off and examined the switch assembly, called Ryobi and placed my order for the switch assembly for my Ryobi 10" portable saw. It cost $10.95.

I bought the switch assembly because most of you thought that was the problem, because taking it off was extremely easy (I like easy first), and because there was no accumulation of sawdust that I could see in the switch. Also, the technician at Ryobi thought that the symptoms I described would most probably be caused by a faulty switch. It's possible that my problem is being caused by something else, but I think most of you have identified the culprit. Thanks again.

I have the same saw and have the same problem.  Thanks for solving my problem too guys!

One more thing: what electrical connections do you make? It's not as simple as I had thought. The switch assembly came off easily enough, but I now see that the four cables (they have female connection ends) in the saw are floating loose, and I'm not sure which of the four prongs on the switch assembly connect with which of them.  There are two black cables and two white cables coming out of the saw. One black cable is capped by a blue cover and one by a white cover. The same applies to the white cables: one  of the white cable ends coming out of the saw is capped by a blue cover and the other white cable end is capped by a white cover. What goes with what? Oh, I forgot to mention that there are four prongs in the switch assembly, I don't see any distinguishing marks. All I can say is that when the switch assembly is in the correct position, there are two prongs at the top and two at the bottom. Come to think of it, it  would be the same if the switch was upside down. Duh. Anyway, I need to know which prongs in the switch assembly connect with which cables coming from the saw. 

That question may require another call to Ryobi service, but I suspect the switch is a "double-pole, single-throw". That means it has 2 sets of contacts that open and close in sync. My guess is that the two black wires go to the top and bottom connection on one side of the switch, and the two whites go on the other side.

But call Ryobi to be safe.

That question may require another call to Ryobi service, but I suspect the switch is a "double-pole, single-throw". That means it has 2 sets of contacts that open and close in sync. My guess is that the two black wires go to the top and bottom connection on one side of the switch, and the two whites go on the other side.

Thanks, I'll do that when the time comes. In the meantime, it's nice to learn that my question wasn't as dumb as I thought it was.

That ought to work.

I run Pro saws, but still keep extra switches on hand.

I know it's not quite relevant to the issue here (which seems to have been solved) but I also just had a circ go down on me. I went digging through the shed and found my dad's old sears circular saw that was a graduation gift to him from my grand parents. . Plugged it in and fired right up. This thing is 45 years old and it does work.

They don't make things like that any more.

Well, that worked. I bought the switch for $10.50, and I just installed it. It definitely wasn't easy, but I knew that it had to fit, so I kept trying, and I eventually succeeded. I might add that it turned out to be a mistake to expect help from the company from whom I bought the parts, but when I called Ryobi, my question was answered quickly and efficiently. I now have my circular saw back. The funny thing is, though, that I like it less and less. What I'd really like is a sliding miter saw. Circular saws are better for some things, but miter saws are so much more useful, and I'm thinking of buying one to replace my standard miter saw, even though it's not a necessity. It's a desire that I definitely have to fight against.