New to the craft

matthew.gray.146

I have just started in woodworking. In fact, the only things I have made this far are two saw horses and some rough looking tenons. I could just use power tools but I feel it's important that I learn to use hand tools appropriately. Currently every time I hand saw, I can't seem to cut strait down. At times when I use chisels, I take more off the wood than what I meant to. I am having trouble making everything square. Do you have any tips and also, what other woodworking techniques should I be learning? Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

As an enthusiast more than an expert, this is the journey and the goal. Anyone can make. The disciplined make square. I can give you names of guys posting handwork, but until you have practiced a bit who can say if there is a true deficiency? Some saws track off by poor design. Googling "knife wall" is helpful. It may be better to look into doctoring techniques instead, like use of planes to correct bad cuts. My two cents. Just try to enjoy the journey knowing that seeing these things is a huge part of getting better. Some don't ever see it.

Currently every time I hand saw, I can't seem to cut strait down. At times when I use chisels, I take more off the wood than what I meant to. I am having trouble making everything square.

I have the exact same trouble.

As everyone says, it is a matter of going slower and having sharp tools...plus more practice.

Make some stuff that it would be nice to have precision on but it would be okay if it wasn't near perfect (like shop furniture), or practice on scrap boards.

I know that sounds boring but cutting straight isn't all that easy, and if you see someone cutting straight it's often because they have been at it a while.

That said...here's a trick I use.

I find it is good to have some kind of reference when trying to cut or chisel straight.

By no means have I mastered it (and those with more experience will hopefully correct me if I'm steering you wrong), but say you want to trim an edge with a chisel and it is important to keep it straight. You may think "I just need to take a tiny shaving off this edge", but when you do it you don't get a straight edge...in fact you may make it worse.

Take your combo square and mark a line along all the edges you want to keep straight, then trim to that line.

It may only be half the pencil lead on a tiny portion of the surface in question but it doesn't really matter.

You can put the straight line 1/8" back from the edge to be trimmed and it will still give you a reference point to work towards.

You can also put on some tape and trim to the tape.

With all precautions I still get it wrong most of the time...as if that's any help.

Dave

I found the Schwarz's dvd "mastering hand tools" useful, though the downside is that it isn't free on youtube.  I still found it very worthwhile and will definitely refer back to it when I try something new.  if you don't want to buy a dvd, there are lots of good vids out there on techniques and tips, if you want to really get into hand tools you could do worse than Paul Sellers as inspiration and guide, so I might start with his youtube channel.  

+1 on Paul Sellers as a general source of info and advice on hand tools. Another very good source of info on sharpening blades is Shannon. He has persuaded me to try setting aside my Eclipse and give freehand a go. For hand sawing I think Tom Fidgen is good. If you want to learn about sharpening hand saws then I'd recommend a combination of Paul Sellers and this one from Brit01425.

the only downside I see to Paul Sellers is that he does everything he does with such ease and speed.  it can be intimidating watching him cut perfect dovetails with just a dovetail saw and a coping saw (and without a chisel) and cleaning with a handplane in 5 minutes.  his skills are truly amazing, and can be a great inspiration, but he can also create the impression that what he does is easy. 

the only downside I see to Paul Sellers is that he does everything he does with such ease and speed.  it can be intimidating watching him cut perfect dovetails with just a dovetail saw and a coping saw (and without a chisel) and cleaning with a handplane in 5 minutes.  his skills are truly amazing, and can be a great inspiration, but he can also create the impression that what he does is easy. 

It is easy...after 50 years of practice :)  I read a blog post from Shannon the other day where he decided to try and teach himself how to saw with his right arm (he's a left hooker like me). After only a few hours of practice he felt as comfortable with his right as his left. Of course it helps that he really knows how to saw in the first place.

The main thing is to just keep practicing. As others have said, if you can find a local class on hand tools that will probably save you a lot of frustration.

i was watching the schwarz last night (his vid i mentioned above) and he basically said "if you can't cut straight, it's not the saw's fault, it just means that you need to practice more".  I think that's sound advice. there's nothing like a bunch of scrap pine or poplar lying around to provide ample opportunity for practicing :D

• Like 1