Pimp your LN's

wouldwurker

==>So why not the jack rabbet?

For many applications, the R and non-R would be a push, but not all... For example, The LAJ makes a pretty good shooting plane, not the R...

Now this would not be the case if you used the Lee Valley Jack Rabbet Plane ... :)

VeritasJackRabbetPlane_html_m478c065b.jp

The answer in in my review: http://www.inthewoodshop.com/ToolReviews/VeritasJackRabbetPlane.html

I know this theead is about LN - they are great tools and I own about 7 or 8 - but the bU planes from Lee Valley are more sophisticated, and you may be missing out if you do not consider them as well. There is no need to stick with one brand. It is not religeon.

Regards from Perth

Derek

==>Now this would not be the case if you used the Lee Valley Jack Rabbet Plane ... :)

Good point -- I've got more LN kit than LV/V... I keep forgetting V's innovations – which is funny because that’s precisely what they bring to the table…  My bad.

==>Now this would not be the case if you used the Lee Valley Jack Rabbet Plane ... :)

Good point -- I've got more LN kit than LV/V... I keep forgetting V's innovations – which is funny because that’s precisely what they bring to the table…  My bad.

As I've started exploring the world of planes building up towards eventually buying some misc pieces, I constantly struggle between the allure of Lie-Nielsen and how pretty they are and supposedly the best (look at this thread...it's "pimp your LN" not "pimp your LN/LV") and the Veritas offerings which have a lot of good points and cool innovations. 

What makes you think that? I have enough love to own one. :)

I totally got you confused with another gentleman. Someone in a neanderthal thread the other day that the only reason la Jacks ar e popular was due to marketing and such. They indicated how they were a poor selling plane when first introduced and not terribly popular until recent times.

==>they are and supposedly the best

Well, I could point you to a few brands that might take a rather diferent idea on 'best': Bridge City, Hotley, et al. While I do tend to spend a bit on tools, I draw the line at $2K for a bench plane... Although for a moving filister??? :)

Probably Trip.  He doesn't need one because he has a plane that specializes in every trick the LAJ can do.  It's a good starter plane for those who don't have the cash to lay out for a whole collection.  But once you do have that collection, it kind of makes the LAJ redundant.  I bought mine primarily to shoot miters.  If I had a true miter shooting plane, I wouldn't need the LAJ at all.  It could find itself on ebay eventually.

Edit: this post in response to carswell...

==>the only reason

Well, I'll fess-up to 1/2 that post... I don't think I really said 'only', and if I did, I didn't mean to... But... But... But... make no mistake; marketing does play a very large part in the hobby-tool world... Do not confuse the tools used by talking heads in articles, on videos or in classes with what they actually use in their shops on a day-by-day basis...

Eric's got closer to my viewpoint... The LAJ is a great first bench plane for the newbie for all the reasons I mentioned -- it's easy to adjust, easy to use and does so much well for so little investment... But after you've got four or five bailey-style bedrock-pattern bench planes, the LAJ becomes a niche player for precisely the reasons that make it a good first bench plane...

And yes, I've got a dedicated shooting plane...  :)

Probably Trip.  He doesn't need one because he has a plane that specializes in every trick the LAJ can do.  It's a good starter plane for those who don't have the cash to lay out for a whole collection.  But once you do have that collection, it kind of makes the LAJ redundant.  I bought mine primarily to shoot miters.  If I had a true miter shooting plane, I wouldn't need the LAJ at all.  It could find itself on ebay eventually.

Edit: this post in response to carswell...

Apologies Mr eric. Sorry for the hijack

Now you got a shot of the legs and ass. :D  Only a matter of time...

The wife demanded one of Marc's low entertainment centers from the free site...five years ago. :blink:  She dropped the hammer last month so now it's happening.  Halfway done...pics soon.