What's the *best* way to heat the shop?

Vyrolan

I've been following all of these heat-related threads recently and I'm sorry to start a new one, but all the discussion and points I was remembering are spread across them so I didn't know which one to revive.

What's the best way to heat a shop (or garage)?  It seems like all of the combustion options (kerosene, propane, etc) either make humidity or remove it...neither is particularly good with wood around.  I kind of like the infrared heaters since they seem quick and don't blow the air all around and can even change the air quickly via the garage door without losing all the damn heat.

For my particular situation, I have electricity and natural gas available (or at least could be made available)...or obviously anything that uses tanks could work.   I'd like to be able to keep my garage at a low-but-reasonable temp without massive humidity up/down, and I'd like the option to bring it up temporarily to a higher temp to do finishing on occasion.  I'd prefer a ceiling-mounted option since there are no corners in our garage and limited wall space.

I've thought about just doing one of those split systems so it could double as cooling in the summer...anyone use one of those?  I'm not sure how good the heating side of those systems do when the temperature is sub-20 or even subzero.

Sorry again about yet-another-thread on heat.

I have a 5000W Comfort Zone 240V heater in my garage. I insulated the exterior wall, and put some weather stripping and stuff to keep drafts out. In 0 degrees I can get my garage to 90 degrees if I leave the heater running (by mistake) the built in thermostat is pretty useless however. I keep my garage at 60 degrees and raise it if I need to. I find 60 to be decent to work in without being cold. The humidity levels range between 40-45 consistantly

Last winter, my wood shop was adjacent to my hydroponic grow room(s), which pumped out 1000 watts between the flowering and veg. fixtures and ballasts.  The heat was captured at the source and blown through a squirrel fan into the shop.  Kept me nice and toasty.  :)

So if that's not an option for you....

If it's in your garage, I imagine the biggest initial impact would be to weather-proof the areas where the cold gets in/heat gets out.

When did they legalize weed in Georgia?  I figured they'd be one of the last to do it.

I'm interested in this thread, too.  My shop stays warm if I want it to be...but not cheaply.  I need to finish insulation more than anything.  I think if you're well insulated, just about anything will do the job good enough.

I have a 5000W Comfort Zone 240V heater in my garage.

How big is your garage? 

I use a pellet stove on a thermostat and love em..

Yea I saw yours in your recent shop tour, but I have nowhere to put something like that and I assume it needs venting to the outside which would be very cumbersome for my garage.

If it's in your garage, I imagine the biggest initial impact would be to weather-proof the areas where the cold gets in/heat gets out.

It's pretty good already for insulation.  Foam backings on the garage door and they seal really well.  Two of the walls shared with the living space so well insulated, and rooms above the back half of it so that part at least is insulated.  I'm pretty sure the rest of the ceiling and the other wall are insulated as well.

Yea I saw yours in your recent shop tour, but I have nowhere to put something like that and I assume it needs venting to the outside which would be very cumbersome for my garage.

Pipe goes out the wall and can terminate right there - They don't require the normal wall clearances because the outside doesn't get hot.  They only place that's too hot to touch is the glass.  And, you only have to empty the can about 1 time per year because they burn so efficient.

They're not the right solution for every situation but, they're a pretty damn good solution to most.

Pipe goes out the wall and can terminate right there - They don't require the normal wall clearances because the outside doesn't get hot.  They only place that's too hot to touch is the glass.  And, you only have to empty the can about 1 time per year because they burn so efficient.

How big is the pipe though?  The whole thing still needs a place presumably near a wall and that alone makes it difficult for me.  I only have 1 wall and no corners (crazy I know).

It's a 4" pipe and they make a thru wall piece that's sealed.  The pipe gets warm but, you can hold you hand on it so doesn't require as much clearance.

I will tell you that the pipe is expensive because it's double wall stainless.  However you don't need to run it far.

I'm interested in this thread, too.  My shop stays warm if I want it to be...but not cheaply.  I need to finish insulation more than anything.  I think if you're well insulated, just about anything will do the job good enough.

I am now a believer in this. With the heater set to 40 last night, my shop was 45 at midnight and still 45 at 8:30am this morning when it was 14 degrees outside. 

It's a 4" pipe and they make a thru wall piece that's sealed.

I will tell you that the pipe is expensive because it's double wall stainless. However you don't need to run it far.

That's tough for me. The only place near a wall I have is not good spot for something stationary as it would semi-permanently remove 1 space from my garage. I don't keep a car there but it's nice to have the option if desired.

I am now a believer in this. With the heater set to 40 last night, my shop was 45 at midnight and still 45 at 8:30am this morning when it was 14 degrees outside.

There's limits to insulation in a garage though. You have a full building and have access to an attic space to insulate. Insulation is definitely important but I'd never be able to get my garage sealed up that well.

They can be vented up as well, just more pipe and BS going thru the roof.. Sounds like maybe the radiants might be a better option for you?

Up is worse...back half (near the house) has bedrooms above so no venting up...front half is all garage doors so there's nowhere to put the thing. My garage is very awkward... =p

What are my options for radiant? The big electric ones?

My previous 2 shops were 2 car garages and I used 30K ventless gas (natural & propane) and never had a moisture problems with wood or machinery.

Interesting. I could get natural gas there somewhat easily, and NG is a lot cheaper than electricity. =p