What's the *best* way to heat the shop?

Vyrolan

True...I would probably never say that either...but if I ran natural gas and just got a big heater, there would be TONS of times I'd say, "I wish I had a smaller heater in here that could also be an air conditioner."

Also true.  Sadly, I don't get that many days a year that are insufferably hot.  Lots of insufferably cold days though.

Geez, I can't believe this thread is going so long.  Just buy a damn heater already! :D

I've got HVAC people coming for other reasons on Tuesday and I'm going to discuss garage options with him as well.  Plus of course this is the internet...we can't make a decision without a truly exhaustive months-long debate!

Also true.  Sadly, I don't get that many days a year that are insufferably hot.  Lots of insufferably cold days though.

I only really want the heater so that glues and finishes work.  With the doors closed it's never going to be too cold in there for me barring some apocalyptic event. =p    However I get insufferably hot very easily. =p

I was doing work in my garage and I was with my dad and he needed to run into Tractor Supply to get something. He saw they had heaters there, it was December and i was talking about getting a heater/ac for my garage. I tossed around the idea of a split unit, and kept procrastinating. He came walking out of tractor supply with a 5000 watt 240v electric heater for a garage and said "Happy birthday, now you've got heat. If only you had someone who knew how to wire and install it" which was part of the joke since he and I were wiring my garage.

Moral of the story... Just buy a heater and be done with it. 

• Like 1

Easy to say when your story is while you were actively wiring your garage and you have the skills to install it. If I just went and grabbed the same heater, I'd have to pay over 1500 bucks to get it installed. Moral of the story...every situation is different.

I like the idea of something like that...I could make that work...we have split doors on the front so there is the tiny bit of wall space between the doors that is no good for anything...I could mount it there (that's also where I've though to hang a ceiling-mounted one. 

Something lower-profile like that (I always imagine the big boxes when I think heaters) could actually work on the back wall too so it'd be closer to work area (and a helluva lot shorter to run gas).  Ceiling is plenty high to easily cover the 14" clearance above...I see it has 48" clearance below...it doesn't look like yours meets that in the pictures...stuff pretty close around it.  Ever had any problems?  How even is the heating with those?   I hate when you're burning up standing next to it and freezing 10 feet away.

For the approximate $350 price tag (plus $100 for piping materials) it works well. Since it is infrared, it heats objects and not the air as much. My tablesaw outfeed table is my main "workbench" so it is a nice warm spot to hang out. The operator side of my tablesaw (as well as all of my other tools, is definitely colder, but eventually heats up over the course of the day.  I can't tell you by how much but it is noticeable. I just don my hoodie and work away. If I need to warm up I just hang out by the workbench and "ponder".

I watched out for the clearance issues when I installed it. I even dropped it a few more inches because of higher altitude (I'm about 5,500 ft) and put the heat shield up. I have found because of the deflection plates on the heater, the heat radiates off of it parallel to the wall. I now keep flat things on the pegboard with no appreciable heat gain. I certainly watch what goes on the workbench below the heater and off to the sides. All I can say is that I'm very happy with it as I've never had a heated garage in my 20+ years of woodworking in them!

I don't know the 'best' way to heat your shop. However I think hearing what others are doing is always helpful. My shop is a double door attached garage of a 50+ year old house. There is no direct door to the garage and I have to go about 20' from my back door to the back door of the garage to get in. Anyway I live in Ottawa, Canada and its fairly cold here in winter. I insulated the walls and ceiling, installed vapour barrier and then put drywall over top. For heat I have a small 110V heater maintain the temperature at 40-50 degrees. I also have a big 240V, 5000 watt heater that I turn on about an before using the shop and the heat typically gets to 65 degrees within an hour. The cement slab floor really acts as stabilizer for the temperature. In summer I put a small air conditioner in the garage windows. Gives me a full 4-season shop at a very reasonable price.

When did they legalize weed in Georgia?  I figured they'd be one of the last to do it.

I'm interested in this thread, too.  My shop stays warm if I want it to be...but not cheaply.  I need to finish insulation more than anything.  I think if you're well insulated, just about anything will do the job good enough.

Ha! Be careful what you ask for.  :rolleyes:

• Like 1

Don't take it personal.  I understand the urge to get public consensus behind your decision before you drop a ton of money on a tool.  It's just that the table saw question is the most common, and there's never a right or wrong answer to it because there's a million options and for every one of those options you'll get a million guys who recommend it and a million guys who don't.  And then you're no better off than when you started.  I think if you buy a cabinet saw you'll probably be happy, and if you buy anything less you probably won't.  It all boils down to how much dough you wanna blow.

I know the the saw threads abound, but I got a great deal of benefit from posting with my specific questions & concerns.  There were a lot of great responses that gave me lots to consider that I hadn't really thought of before.  So even though it may be an oft asked question, there is still good discussion to be had.

I've found that the wide variety of knowledge and experience on this forum to be a great help.  And the courtesy and respect displayed here is pretty exceptional, considering the internet as a whole.

BTW, I've decided on the 3hp SawStop PCS.  Just waiting to unload the Jet.

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...